The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

pompas grass question

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Pompas Grass Doesn't Bloom| Next thread: pompas grass questions »
Back to Thread index
by seep77 on August 31, 2006 07:32 AM
I have a question about pompas grass. It is used all throughout the medians in our city and the plumes are quite beautiful right now. My question is this: In the middle of the plant are long tall plumes which look brown and brittle (not soft and white). My husband says those haven't bloomed yet but I think they are dead and just weren't pruned from last season. Who is right?
by alankhart on August 31, 2006 07:37 AM
The old blooms turn brown, so you are right. The new blooms are more white and fluffy. It's usually best to cut off the old blooms.

-
 -
 -
by plantqueen on September 01, 2006 05:06 AM
I have a large section of pompas grass in my yard and in the spring I cut it all down to as low as the ground as I can. The first time I did this I was scared to do it, but it all came back. I love pompas grass. Mine is absolutely beautiful right now. In the fall, I cut some of the blooms off and use them in fall arrangements.

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by seep77 on September 01, 2006 12:55 PM
thank you both for your info.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Pompas Grass Doesn't Bloom| Next thread: pompas grass questions »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: