The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cacti having babies!?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Cabbage Worms (Yuck!)| Next thread: Cacti or Maybe Succulent? »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on August 30, 2006 04:37 PM
Ok, so when I was at the nursery earlier this spring, I got this 3 for the price of one deal. I wanted a Jade plant desperately and found one in a pot with 2 other things in there with it. The lady at the counter said "you know these two other plants are a type of cactus" and i said "oh...cool". Well, turns out these three plants are tough boogers and once I remembered to start watering them [Confused] they all grew like crazy things. I'm sure I need to find new homes for these as they look like they are outgrowing the pot i have them in (opinions would be good for that as I'm not sure if i'm right). Anyways, the past couple of weeks i've noticed round things on the cacti. At first I thought they were just seeds, but last week I noticed what looked like roots coming off of them. What do I do with them now??? They are soo tiny, I'm afraid that if I pull them off, they'll get lost in a pot with soil! If I bump them too hard, then they do fall off and I'm afraid that they'll get bumped, fall off, and then die if I don't notice it. I keep the plants in the kitchen...it gets more light. What do I do? Also, anyone know what kind of cactus it is????

-
 -
 -

-
 -

-
by hisgal2 on August 30, 2006 04:38 PM
PS~ Anyone know why some of my Jade leaves look like the one in the background of that last picture???

-
 -

-
by DowntoEarth on August 30, 2006 05:34 PM
The two plants (succulents) in with the jade are Kalanchoe's, not sure which ones you have, there are a few out there.
Kalanchoe daigremontiana maybe? [dunno]
I had one like yours before, only the backs of the leaves had spots or blotches. Now I have a few smaller Kalanchoes, (not sure what kind) in one pot.
Along the edges of the leaves are baby kalanchoes, they will eventually fall to the soil below and root, sometimes they fall into other plants and root. You can also plant them yourself, maybe wait for a little bit bigger root system first, then the little roots can get a better hold.
In no time, you will have LOTS of babies!The common name is Mother Of Thousands! Now you know why! [Big Grin]

Not sure what's going on with your jade [dunno] It looks like some kind of pest has been nibbling on the same spot on that one leaf. Maybe a good spray from the kitchen sink is all you need.That leaf will probably get worse and fall off, so I'd probably just pinch it off.
by hisgal2 on August 31, 2006 03:58 AM
i've looked for pests and don't see any. That leaf has looked the same for weeks...just thought I'd ask while I had a pic of it online. I'm wondering if mabye it is just a scar?

-
 -

-
by DowntoEarth on August 31, 2006 09:29 AM
If you don't see any pest that's a VERY good thing! Any damaged leaves like that one in the picture might be from past nibblers, maybe someone pinched some off somewhere along the line. Otherwise, all the plants look pretty healthy.

The two succulents could probably do ok in their own small pots, or, you could even have both in the same pot. When I bought the Kalanches that looks liked yours, there where about 5-6 (Kalanhoes) ranging in size in a 4" pot.

[Smile]
by dodge on August 31, 2006 02:34 PM
Those 2 plant are called Crying Susies....

They drop the little plants and they fall and make new plants........I have some.

Crying Susie for sure.

dodge [thumb]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Jiffymouse on September 03, 2006 02:26 AM
they are also called "mother of thousands" if you do a search of the site archives, you should be able to find a link to jillie's posts about her's. they eventually bloom, then the mother dies, but by then you have ooodles of babies. the leaves on the babies will get jagged like the mother as they grow.
by dodge on September 03, 2006 02:41 AM
Beats me......

Mine have oodles of babys, but never die.. i have to kill them to throw away. They grow wild in texas I know.

dodge

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on September 03, 2006 02:36 PM
they have to bloom to die and they have to have just the right light to bloom!
by dodge on September 03, 2006 03:19 PM
That is very strange..

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Cabbage Worms (Yuck!)| Next thread: Cacti or Maybe Succulent? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: