The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

seed bed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: seed balls| Next thread: seed dust? »
Back to Thread index
by ND farm girl on August 28, 2006 11:47 AM
Netty had some pretty pictures and stated that she moved them from her seed bed. Help? Do you have a seed bed where you start seeds outside or inside? Help?

I always wonder how people have like a grouping of bee balm or plants like that - you know, like a coneflower. When planting seeds like for bee balm - starting it indoors, do you plant.....oh - hard to explain, how about just ask - how do you do this?

Does everyone have a seed bed - outside is it?

Did ANY of that question make sense? [Frown] [perplexed] [dunno] [nutz]

PattyM
by netty on August 28, 2006 12:53 PM
Hi again ND farm girl [wavey]
My "seed bed" is just a sunny corner in my yard where I plant perennial seeds in the fall. Anything that grows is left for the year and moved out into the garden the following year. By the time they are moved to the garden the second year, they usually produce flowers.

-
 -
by mrw on August 28, 2006 01:10 PM
Netty,
What kinds of seeds do you plant in the fall? I'd like to do this, but don't know what will survive the winter .
by netty on August 28, 2006 01:28 PM
Well, it depends what seed I get from trades etc but currently growing there (from last fall) is Lamb's Ears, Wild Blue Indigo, Monkshood, Butterfly Weed, Culvers Root, Coneflowers, Obedient Plant, Baby's Breath and Sweet William. I also keep biennials in there that won't bloom until the second year like the Branched Coneflower and Foxglove.
I'm zone 5.

-
 -
by ND farm girl on August 28, 2006 03:09 PM
That is so neat. My husband said 'what do you mean what is a seed bed?" He's a farmer - always trying to get a nice seed bed.

Do you have a picture of your seed bed?

I think I'd get to impatient and move them sooner than the following year!

PattyM
by patches1414 on August 28, 2006 07:02 PM
I've never had a seed bed before but I've been serious thinking [thinker] about starting one this year. [Wink] I want to try some of the seeds I've been collecting from my plants and see what happens! [dunno]

Netty, I had an Obedient plant I bought about six or seven years ago and it was taking over my bed and crowding out all my other plants. [Mad] It even started coming up in my lawn, [Eek!] so I finally ended up taking it out, [Wink] but it took me three years to completely get rid of it. [Frown] [Frown]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by netty on August 29, 2006 09:16 AM
I know what you mean about the Obedient plant Patti...I have a clump that's gonna take over the garden! But the stuff in my seed bed is the white flowered one that I collected seeds from at work. It seems to be a little easier to contain and I need some more white in the garden. Hope I'm not sorry one day!!!

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 29, 2006 10:19 AM
Netty, I ONLY bought the Obedient Plant because it was PINK, and I love [Love] pink flowers! Well, I loved the flowers, but I couldn't deal with problem of it taking over my flower bed and crowding out my other plants! [Eek!] You know, I really hate that because I think I paid about $8.00 for the silly plant and then ended up throwing it away. [Mad] I didn't dare put it in my compost bin. [nutz] The same thing happened when I bought Yarrow, that was more money down the drain and a lot of aggravation to boot! [Eek!]

Netty, I don't know anything about the white [dunno] and wasn't even aware it came in white, so maybe it's a little different and you won't have a problem with it. Sometimes when the same plant comes in different varieties, they can have different characteristics. They have Honeysuckle now that is not invasive! [clappy]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by dodge on August 29, 2006 12:50 PM
ND

I have an indoor sort of seed starter bed..On the top of a Lid from a plastic box.. Water proof.

I bought a heating cable and set it up .. And grew many of my plants for the out doors.. It was an amazing thing to behold.......

First time ever.
dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by patches1414 on August 29, 2006 06:21 PM
Hey Dodge, this sounds like a pretty neat idea! [Wink] How large is this? [dunno] Do you have any pictures of it? [dunno] Do you use any grow lights? [dunno] Inquiring minds want to know! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
by ND farm girl on August 29, 2006 11:26 PM
I'm an inquiring mind too! We want pics!

PattyM
by dodge on August 30, 2006 03:20 AM
Hang in there I just took photos and will do Pocket bucket now.

dodge

-
 -
by dodge on August 30, 2006 03:40 AM
Here Is the Plain and simple way to do it.
The Heating cable is not visible.
Right now I just put leafs of the africian violet directly into the soil and look.. It is getting babies already......
That is soil from spring planting......Used
Now
the easy way, they send the directions with the Heating cable ..Look at local places like Gurneys or Springhill Nursery catalogs.. I think mine was springhills.

Put the cable onto hardware wire ..Below it is sand......, cable facing sand, hardware wire, and store bought soil......Thats it .

It is a very slow warm heating system.....See in my cold area, it is hard to maintain a constant temperature......First time I did this......I am convinced......
Oh it isnt plugged in now......Came spring it was still popping up plants , i unplugged it and it keeps going.FOrgotten seed.

Easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dodoge
 -

-
 -
by Bestofour on August 30, 2006 05:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by patches1414:
Netty, I had an Obedient plant I bought about six or seven years ago and it was taking over my bed and crowding out all my other plants. [Mad] It even started coming up in my lawn, [Eek!] so I finally ended up taking it out, [Wink] but it took me three years to completely get rid of it. [Frown] [Frown]
So are you saying that the Obedient Plant isn't very obedient after all.

One year after first joining this board I wintered sowed a bunch of stuff and nearly had a fit having to transplant everything outside. I swore to myself that I'd never do it again. So now I wait until early spring, throw out the seeds and see what happens I had containers of seeds everywhere for 6 weeks and was constantly moving them from window to window. I'd like to say that's what made me nuts but I think I've always been a little crazy.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by ND farm girl on August 30, 2006 05:54 AM
Is this the kind'a thing you use the end of winter before spring when you want to start seeds indoors before moving them outside?

PattyM
by dodge on August 30, 2006 06:48 AM
RIGHT

Worked for me..
dodge

-
 -
by netty on August 30, 2006 09:46 AM
Bestofour-that is the exact reason for planting my seeds OUTSIDE! I don't have the room inside for all the things I want to grow from seed so the perennials are planted in the seed bed and stay there until I'm ready to move them where I want them. There's no rush that way!

-
 -
by dodge on August 30, 2006 10:06 AM
yes

-
 -
by Bestofour on August 30, 2006 12:14 PM
netty, I never even thought about doing that until you mentioned it. What a great idea.

-
 -
by Bestofour on August 30, 2006 12:25 PM
Something is either wrong with the forum or my computer. I couldn't finish my thought (and I don't have many thoughts - not good ones anyway) But, my family wishes I had known about a seedbed earlier so we could have eaten on the table or counter instead of having to stand in the middle of the floor because that's the only place I didn't have seeds trying to sprout.

-
 -
by dodge on August 30, 2006 12:34 PM
Bestoffloor,

ha ha ha
In north carolina you should not have a problem starting seeds outside......
I didnt use any lights to germinate.....

you can do it on a shade side of the house outside..

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: seed balls| Next thread: seed dust? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: