The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Good snails

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Good plant for wet area?| Next thread: Good soil »
Back to Thread index
by gardengal on December 30, 2003 11:08 PM
Hey Weezie, [wayey] did you check out that info about the good snails? Here's another link...

good snails

Apparently they will occaisonally eat seedlings as well. I find it very interesting that they are only allowed in Ca. and Tx. right now. You have to be careful introducing new species I guess.

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by Bestofour on December 31, 2003 01:47 AM
I think it's a big mistake bringing in creatures that our not indiginous to our area. My house is full of Asian ladybugs, that bite. I wish they'd all go back to wherever they came from. [Embarrassed]

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by rue anemone on December 31, 2003 03:53 PM
I was wondering about that bestofour.

Sometimes it seems to me that whenever humans put their hands and heads into solving a problem with nature we mess it up.

I`m thinking of Kudzu and the english sparrow. In my neighborhood it is euyonomus. I know in some it is english ivy.

Would these things have found their way here without the help of humans?

-
 -
by catlover on December 31, 2003 04:00 PM
You know gardengal I think that I have seen several of those around here! The shell that is....does it look like a tiny sea shell...kinda long with spirals and brown? Have you seen any?

I was thinking one of the kids might have thrown a sea shell out but I am seeing more of them!!!!

Best of four I kinda know what you are going through but wasn't bitten by them.....cleaned out my grandparents house after they passed away this last year and they were all in the cupboards....thankfully dead...the orange ones!!! That was in Iowa....guess our two Iowa people here say those lady bugs were used to kill some insects on the crops.....think it got out of hand!!!!

-
 -
 -
by gardengal on December 31, 2003 05:18 PM
Catlover, [kitty]
Yes, those are them. They are smaller than a brown snail and they have a seashell type of body. I bet you do have them around since they come from San Diego County. I don't know where they came from originally but my dad is sure glad to have them around. They are a very organic way of taking care of snails for him. [flower]

Best of four and Rue, I can understand waiting for the state and county to say its okay to introduce a new species. I've heard complaints about english ivy before. Just look at Australia, they've had a lot of problems with animals being introduced that have almost wiped out their indigenous animals. [shocked]

-
 -
Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
by weezie13 on January 01, 2004 12:35 AM
[wayey] Hey Gardengal! [wayey]
I did get a chance to read that, very interesting.
But didn't get a chance to comment!
(Christmas's and sick and sick boys!!)
But, I liked the article...
Do the snails that they eat, do they consider
"slugs" as a snail too?? Just curious........
the article said it goes after snails of some kind.
I agree also with the bringing in species
that aren't from around the area........
They tend to take over if not watched and monitored properly...
Which brings me to RUE< you mentioned
quote:
I`m thinking of Kudzu and the english sparrow. In my neighborhood it is euyonomus. I know in some it is english ivy.

Would these things have found their way here without the help of humans?
Floweraddict "Chemical Bob" will have a few choice words over the KUDZA, that's a big no~no in his area, the govt., introduced it in the late 1800's and it's swallowing the south.........
KUDZA

I read up alot on that, and it's a monster!!!!!
Almost what California mudslide area's would need for a year, but doubt if it would be all removeable after a years time...

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by rue anemone on January 01, 2004 02:22 PM
That is a great link, thanks for posting it. I love the kudzu baskets!!

Hey wouldn`t it be great if we could turn it into fuel to run our cars, kudzuline.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Good plant for wet area?| Next thread: Good soil »
Back to Thread index