The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New here...Hello

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: New Here....from PNW| Next thread: NEW HOME FOR KOI »
Back to Thread index
by DeepCreekLake on January 11, 2006 09:19 AM
New guy here, from beautiful Western Maryland. I have got into gardening in the last few years, and enjoy it. My home sits on an 1.10 acre lot that recieves full sun all day- ideal for growing, so I decided to give it a shot! I have planted a decent home orchard, consisting of 4 peach trees, 2 nectarines, 8 apples, 10 pear trees (with 4 more on order for this spring), 6 hardy Kiwi vines, and more fruit to come.Also enjoy groiwng hardshell gourds, and giant pumpkins. I plan on making a large vegtable garden this Spring. I look forward to learning, from others here, as well as swaping info! Good to be here.....
by Dixie Angel on January 11, 2006 01:01 PM
 -

Sounds like you are starting a fruit business there, DeepCreekLake! It's got me thinking about doing the same with some of our ground...

Dianna

-
 -
by johnCT on January 11, 2006 09:43 PM
Welcome! Relatively new myself. I think you'll like the forums.

John - Zone 6
by tkhooper on January 11, 2006 10:12 PM
Hi Welcome. Enjoy the forum. Look forward to your posts.

-
 -
by Francine on January 12, 2006 09:52 AM
Hello from canada,

your orchard seems beautiful,welcome to the forum,i m sure you ll have a lot of fun and a lot of helpers!!

Franny.

http://photobucket.com/albums/d23/fv1962/
by obywan59 on January 13, 2006 12:34 PM
Welcome DeepCreekLake!! I used to live in your neck of the woods. Just across the state line in Preston County WV. I lived just south of Eglon on route 24. My dad was the pastor at Maple Spring Church of the Brethren. During college, I worked 3 consecutive summers in Oakland. 2 at the library, and the other at Green Acres garden center on a landscaping crew. I also have a lot of fruits, apples, peaches, kiwis, cherries, gooseberries and others. No pears yet, though I've been drooling over some in the Southmeadow Fruit Gardens catalog.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by DeepCreekLake on January 14, 2006 10:26 AM
Thanks for the welcome. Ive ordered a few of my pears through mail order, including a 4x1 pear tree that has Comice,Orcas,Highland, and Bosc grafted onto to one tree, I am curious to see how well they will grow. I cut through Preston County all the time on my way to Morgantown area etc. I you ever cut through Western PA, stop at Hoffmans Nursery, its an awesome place lots of fruit trees (including wholesale) The trees are nice sized compaired to catalog dealers. Had 2 pears I bought last year that fruited! Duchess pears had about 13 pears, and was about 8 feet tall -not too shabby for being planted the same year. Good to see people from nearby and afar

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: New Here....from PNW| Next thread: NEW HOME FOR KOI »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: