The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

MY BABIES!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by ninniwinky on July 24, 2005 10:22 PM
Here are my Tomato's so far they are
as big as my fist! Hopefull they
will hang on until Picking!!!
I hope this works:

-

Now let me show you a picture
of the problem I have with these plants,
they are about 5ft tall but they are
sooooooo spindly!
THey are as thin as a pinky!!

-

You can see the shorter one that
is really nice and bushy is in such a SMALL planter, and it is the one with
the HUGE maters on it, and the
stalk is THICK! So I don't think
it is the size of my other
Bigger planters, I really think
I started out with Poor soil,
and Chlorinated City Water!
The bushy plant was given to
me a few months ago from my mother,
Using well water....

I am soooooooooooo excited for the
tomato's I do have!!
This is MY FIRST time
planting anything!!!!
Sorry the pics are sooooo big!!!

Ninni
by maryann matthews on July 25, 2005 01:03 AM
[thumb]
Ninni:
These are beautiful tomatoes!
I think the reason the stalks are spindly might be because they are in pots instead of in the ground?

It is just a guess though, I am not a tomatoe expert!

Happy Gardening [flower]

-
To get your ideas across use small words, big ideas, and short
sentences.

-- John Henry Patterson
by ninniwinky on July 25, 2005 03:44 AM
well I would think that also, but the shorter little bushier one has a stalk the size of my wrist!! and its in a smaller pot!! Weird, huh???

Ninni
by LMT on July 25, 2005 04:00 AM
For years and too many years of growing plants in the house, I like to work a plant up in pot size. It seems to retain a more compact nature that way. I'm sure there's a reason.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by Bestofour on July 25, 2005 07:39 AM
Those are great looking tomatoes. Wonder if the pots are too shallow for the root system. Just a guess. I've never grown tomatoes in pots.

Are you realling listening to Neil Young? I like him with Crosby, Stills, and Nash but not a whole lot as a solo.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by LMT on July 25, 2005 09:19 AM
I pulled "Comes a Time" earlier today and have Arlo Guthrie in right now.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by Triss on July 25, 2005 09:21 AM
Beautiful tomatoes. In pots I have found that pruning as they are first growing gives you bushier plants. But you are getting great fruit so just keep them staked and they should make it to a beautiful red!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by ninniwinky on July 25, 2005 10:56 AM
Thanks Triss, I sure hope so!!!!!! I can't wait to have my Tomato and miracle whip sandwich!!!

Ninni
by Karrie on July 28, 2005 07:23 PM
I'd pull them maters right this moment and eat them fried! I bet they would taste better then my cinnamon rolls!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by ninniwinky on July 28, 2005 10:57 PM
yOu know, I never had fried green tomatoes!! I always wanted to try them....

Ninni
by Amigatec on July 29, 2005 08:17 AM
quote:
Originally posted by ninniwinky:
yOu know, I never had fried green tomatoes!! I always wanted to try them....

Ninni

Paula's Fried Green Tomato and Egg Hollandaise

Fried green tomatoes are GOOD!!! [clappy]

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by Sorellina on August 06, 2005 02:25 AM
Big indeterminate tomato plants, ones that keep producing all season long need about 1 cu. ft. of soil to produce like they would if grown in the ground. The plant on the right might be a determinate plant which grows smaller and produces all at once or perhaps it has more of a dwarf-type growth habit. Without knowing the varieties, it's hard to say.

The only tomatoes I have growing in pots the size of yours are dwarfs, ones that won't get higher than 3' at most. I have 11 others in 1 cu. ft. containers and most are over 7' tall. I've compared yield from those to what I'm getting in the raised bed and they're comparable. My 1 cu. ft. container plants have suffered more from various foliage diseases, though. That might be due to uneven watering and more exposure to high winds during thunderstorms. The soil used was new pro-mix, so there weren't pre-existing diseases like can happen in garden soil.

ninniwinky, depending on where you are in NY, if you're getting a lot of heat/humidity, you may want to put those containers in a saucer and mulch with straw or grass clippings for increased water retention. Just a thought.

Cheers and congrats on your tomatoes ;o)

Julianna

-
by ninniwinky on August 06, 2005 02:34 AM
thats a really good Idea juliana, we have been DRY here, EXTREMELY humid too!!

Thanks!!

ninni

PS. Two of them are now ripe!!!! Maybe I will take a pic of them on the vine and upload them!!!!
by ninniwinky on August 06, 2005 11:57 PM
I picked my first two tomato's today!!!! Remember, the green ones everyone was telling me to make fried green tomato's with?????? Well now they are a beautiful red! YIPPEE!! This is my first year of growing ANYTHING, EVER!!!!!!

Ninni

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: