The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

The Return of the Bow Tie Vine! (photo heavy)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by firebetty on April 16, 2005 02:34 AM
Hi everyone! Sorry for my long absence. I have been very busy and I just realized that I haven't updated you all on the status of my recently brown and shabby looking Bow Tie Vine. I'm pleased to announce that it's coming back!

*In late winter, I took the stake out, and spread it over the lattice so that it got premium sunlight exposure. That helped.
Also, I think it may have just been shocked temporarily from the planting. Also, it was winter, and not very warm or sunny for Los Angeles. I am happy with how it's getting new growth, and the many purple flowers are starting to pop open.

I'm including photos of before and after. You can see some of the rest of my "mini" garden in the background, the rains this year really made everything grow!

Let me know what you all think!
kristi

BEFORE:

-  -

AFTER:

-  -
by firebetty on April 16, 2005 02:41 AM
Here's a closer view too..  -
by tkhooper on April 16, 2005 04:16 AM
That is a really cute plant. I don't think I have ever seen one before. I'm glad you were able to save it.

-
 -
by firebetty on April 17, 2005 04:03 AM
Thanks! Yeah, I'm glad I could save it too...it was pretty pricey at the nursery I got it from. I have a white and purple flower thing going in the front of my house. I have Queen of the Night tulips which are in full bloom right now and they look really amazing - they're so dark they are almost black looking, and a white bowltube iris - I'm sortof a minimalist gardener - mixing japanese styles (I have a very large bamboo on the opposite side) with very interesting looking plants and grasses.

This one was so spectacular when I saw it I really had to have it. I spent more for it than I normally would, which is why I was in such a panic when it started to shed it's leaves! But I have since discovered that it's due to the winter. "whew"
by tkhooper on April 17, 2005 04:16 AM
I wish I had style or should I say one style.

I like everything so I end up with alittle bit of each and so my environment looks kinda like a junkyard. I am trying really hard to change, but it's not easy. I'm currently slowly putting together my livingroom with blacks, golds, greens & yellows with touches of white. The garden outside that i've just started this year is of course a jumble of anything I thought was pretty or that might grow. Hope you'll share more pictures when you get a chance.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 17, 2005 06:33 AM
that is a really cool vine... i'd like one one day, but i just hate paying for plants... i'd rather sit on my swing like i did tonight and say "those lilies are from mom54, and those are from renee, and that willow is from afgrey, and the tree there is from your nanny's funeral, and the roses are from our old neighbor cindy who moved to tx, and the coral vine (if it comes back) is from gramma... " i literally spent half an hour telling my daughter about all the plants... and where they came from.
by firebetty on May 25, 2005 07:57 AM
tk! Don't think about a style, just do what YOU like! That's the most important thing. I'm a total newbie at gardening. I'm just really anal retentive about things. But if you fill your garden with the things you like, and keep it nice, then it DOES have style! YOURS! Silly. I'd love to send you all some photos of our garden, from start to finish. We've been working on the side yard for over a year now...and I'm tired. VERY tired. We just started painting the house, and I'm absolutely thrilled with the way the green in the garden looks so great with the new coat of paint. You'd never know the house was built in 1911...And in LOS ANGELES to have stood so long is really a feat. Anyway, when it's all done, I'll send some photos. I'm sooo proud!
by njoynit on June 06, 2005 05:39 PM
I wondered how your plant did....how was your coldest temp?I'd still like one of these.I was going to order one from annies annuals....and they were out when i got ready to order.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by firebetty on June 06, 2005 11:50 PM
It's doing great. Thanks for asking. There is a lot of new growth on it this season, so I'm hopeful. The coldest temperature we got was probably around 45F (and that's REALLY cold for LA) It's been unusually chilly even this spring. But that doesn't seem to bother this plant, it gets afternoon full sun, and seems to be loving it. I hope you find one!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: