The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dinnerplate hibiscus-pink & red/hot pink

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Dimondia margarethe| Next thread: Dionea muscipula »
Back to Thread index
by floweringchild on August 24, 2006 02:45 PM
Hey ya'll,

I segwayed over to my own topic on pink hibiscus as I wanted to show them and chat about them as well.

These two hibsicus are my latest purchase!

I was out of town recently and came across pink Luna hibiscus for sale. I had never heard of Luna hibiscus and regrettably passed on a purchase.

Several weeks later, I noticed a neighbor several blocks over and "down the street" was having a plant sale and was selling large hibsicus plants. I stopped by and asked if they were lunas. He said no, these were his hybrid and he cultivated his own, 10" and 11" hibiscus and that I would not find any like these around town. Needless to say I purchased two, a pink and red.

Here's a pic of the red. To me it's hot pink but what do I know right? [Smile]
 -

-
 -
by floweringchild on August 24, 2006 02:54 PM
Here's a pic of my pink Hibiscus.
 -

The pink Hibiscus came with a card.

Sparkle Pink Jewel PPAF
Perennial Hibiscus

I think patches1414 asked in the other thread if I knew the name of hibiscus and if it was hardy or perennial.

Here's the description of the plant according to the card.

Light pink petals with darker pink sparkly dots that catch the sun and sparkle in the wind. Full 11" flowers with a bright red eye.

Compact 36" plants.

Thrives in full sun.

Water and fertilize generously. Keep seed pods removed for continuous flowering.

Cut back foliage to ground after killing frost. Plants grow from roots in spring.

My red/hot pink Hibiscus did not have a card so I asked the gentleman the name of it, he said he called it "Red Hibiscus".

I was told just tonight I can get seeds from the flowers that drop off, just to dry the flowers out. Hey ya'll I'll have seeds.

What does the seed pod look like that is described on the card? Any more info on acquiring these seeds?

Input, comments etc. welcomed! [wavey]

-
 -
by kennyso on August 24, 2006 03:07 PM
wow, hugh! I got hardy hibiscus seeds but they never sprouted for me [Frown] I'm pretty sure there should be like a seedpod that develops when the flower falls off.

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by floweringchild on August 25, 2006 04:51 AM
Hi kennyso,

Yeah, this morning I went out to look at the Hibiscus and there were several blooms that had fallen. I see the seed pod left on the plant. I pulled several off and I suppose I should dry them out?
Thanks kennyso. [wavey]
Suggestions, comments welcomed!

Stephanie

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 25, 2006 06:40 AM
Stephanie, the seed pods need to be left on the plant in order to fully develop and ripen until the pod turns brown and very dry.

-

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gardenfairy on August 25, 2006 11:11 AM
Yes Stephanie, you need to leave the seed pods on the plant and let them dry out on their own. I just got a seed pod off of my hibiscus this morning. It appears you have a hardy hibiscus.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by floweringchild on August 26, 2006 06:29 AM
TulsaRose & gardenfairy,

Thanks for the info regarding the seed pods. I had already taken 6 off recently but they were not dried out. The seeds are black. I put them on my window ledge for drying. Will that work?

I will leave the remaining pods on plants until dry. TulsaRose, thanks for the pic. What color is your hibiscus?

gardenfairy, the card states Perennial Hibiscus.

The man I purchased the two plants from says to put them in the ground asap. I really do not want to as I do not have a good place as they require full sun and pushed for space in my small courtyard garden [Roll Eyes] . I may transplant them to the extra pots they are sitting in. [Confused] Suggestions anyone?

-
 -
by TulsaRose on August 26, 2006 07:47 AM
Stephanie, you can safely plant your Hibiscus in morning sun\afternoon shade and they will do quite well there considering the afternoon heat in your zone. They really need to be in the ground to get a good, deep root system established.

A word of caution about collecting seeds. Since they are from "hybrids" the seed grown plants may not be the same color as the mama. To get an exact replica of your plant, you need to take cuttings and root them.

Since you have already taken seeds while the pods were green, I doubt they will be viable but you can always try. Just don't mix them with ones you take later that you know for sure are ripe.

I had been growing a white\red eye that was my mothers...probably a thirty+ yr old plant...lost it over the winter due to drought conditions. Fortunately, I had seeds saved from it and now have two nice starts that will bloom next year. I also have a solid red that was rescued from a neighbors yard after their dog had chewed it to the ground. I don't know if it will bloom next year or not. It is really struggling. All are getting lots of TLC. [Wink]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 26, 2006 11:07 PM
Wow, floweringchild, I love your Hibiscus [Love] and those are really some awesome looking flowers you have there. [flower] [flower] [flower] I agree with you that the red one sure looks like hot pink! [Wink] I love the other pink one too! [Love]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by gardenfairy on August 27, 2006 05:34 AM
Floweringchild, I agree with Rosie, you really should plant them in the ground so they can establish and root system. My two are growing their little hearts out, I can't believe that have gotten as big as they have. The seeds pods that you have taken off already probably will not have any viable seeds, they need to stay on the plant until it is dried out. Good Luck with your little beauties!!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by Triss on August 27, 2006 05:39 AM
Beautiful flowers!!! I hope they do really well for you!

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by floweringchild on August 27, 2006 01:57 PM
TulsaRose,
I need to find a spot in my garden but pushed for ground space. [tears]

Thanks for the info on hybrid seeds.

Sorry to hear you lost your mother's 30 + hibiscus but glad you got seeds from it.

I'm sure I'll be looking for advice from you when I plant seeds. Should I plant seeds in small containers first then transplant, and when do I plant seeds?

patches1414,
Thanks!

gardenfairy
Thank you too for info on my seeds.

Triss,
Thanks! Love your personal website. You have a lovely family!

[wavey] [wavey]

-
 -
by plants 'n pots on August 27, 2006 02:10 PM
Those are stunning flowers - very healthy looking too!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Triss on August 27, 2006 02:12 PM
Thanks Stephanie. [kissies]

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by patches1414 on August 27, 2006 07:09 PM
quote:
I'm sure I'll be looking for advice from you when I plant seeds. Should I plant seeds in small containers first then transplant, and when do I plant seeds?

Floweringchild, I am in Zone 5 so by the time the seed pods turn brown it's already too late to plant the seeds in the ground in this area! [Frown] I have to start the seeds indoors because they need to be in warm (at least 70 degrees) soil for approximately 2-4 weeks to germinate. [Wink]

This is what I do with my Hardy Hibiscus seeds and it works for me (with about a 50% success rate)! [Smile] I scarify (nick) the seeds and soak them in fairly hot water for 1 hour to make it easier for moisture to enter. Then I plant the seeds in pots of Pro-Mix and keep them under grow lights in an area where the temperature will be about 70-78 degrees F. After the danger of frost has passed, I plant them in the ground or give them away to friends. [Wink]

NOTE: You need only to scrape or nick the seed to break the surface to get a good result. You can use a small file, sandpaper or fingernail clippers, which is what I use to nick the coating of the seed. [Wink] Be careful not to nick the seed too deep near the site of the embryo because this would make the seed not viable. [Frown] Germination should take between 14-30 days.

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by dodge on August 29, 2006 12:37 PM
flowergirl.....

Looks like Heaven sent.....Gorgous .. Hot pink the first looked like to me.....
Large for sure.
Bet it grabs all the attention on your block?/

Good job/.....Just when we think they wont bloom ..Presto there they go.

dodge..........good job...hope it rubs off on me.

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by floweringchild on August 31, 2006 03:52 PM
Hi plants 'n pots [wavey]

First time I am seeing a post from you! Great!
Thanks!!! [Wink] [flower]

patches 1414
Fantastic info regarding planting seeds. I'll be sure to keep this info in a safe place! I'm in zone 9 so it sounds like I will be safe in planting seeds [flower] in the ground at this time. Ya think?

-

-

-
 -
by patches1414 on August 31, 2006 10:04 PM
quote:
I'm in zone 9 so it sounds like I will be safe in planting seeds in the ground at this time. Ya think?
Floweringchild, I really don't know anything about your zone, [dunno] but I'm guessing you would be safe planting the seeds in the ground. However, when I am planting seeds for special flowers like Hibiscus, as opposed to the annual ones where I may scatter a whole package of seeds, I prefer to plant them in a pot so I can keep a closer eye them them and tend to their needs. [Wink] Even if I could plant my Hibiscus seeds in the ground here, I wouldn't! [Frown] I assume you're not trying to get a couple dozen Hibiscus plants. [Wink] Although if you're planting seeds, be aware that only about 50% of the Hibiscus seeds will sprout. [Frown]

-
 -
by floweringchild on September 02, 2006 06:21 PM
patches1414,

That makes very good sense. And, since I only have very few of these treasured dinnerplate hibiscus seeds, I'll do just that!

Thanks

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 02, 2006 07:18 PM
Floweringchild, I'm really glad to hear you're doing this because I think your chances of success will be much greater! [Smile] I've grown many Hibiscus seeds in pots and they did well! When I used to plant seeds in the ground I never knew if the squirrels dug then up or the birds ate them or they just didn't make it! [dunno] By doing it this way, I know a little more about what's going on! [Wink] [Wink]

-
 -
by ButtonsMom on September 03, 2006 01:18 AM
[wavey] Love your pictures; hibiscus is a beautiful flower! I carefully watched mine for three years without a hint of a blossom, but this year (just when I was ready to give up) I have 10" blooms. Since I do the floral arranging for my church, I'd like to use 2-3 blooms for tomorrow's service. Problem is we are expecting heavy rain later today. Last week the rain tore apart any blooms I had. If I cut some this morning, do you think they would last a day or two, or will they just shrivel up on me?

-
Thyme began in a garden
by TulsaRose on September 03, 2006 01:56 AM
ButtonsMom, the Hibiscus blooms only last one day so you might try cutting them just before you leave the house. Or try cutting a stem with almost ready-to-open buds???

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by dodge on September 03, 2006 02:23 AM
Rosie

correct on that one.. It is a longggggggggggggggg journey till they bloom and then it is only one day..
Took 2 years for mine to bloom......Is that the standard proceedure?
They are nice but......I prefer the all summer fall bloomers to those.....Like zinnias or morning glories .....

dodge [teacher]

-
 -
by dodge on September 03, 2006 02:58 AM
patches,

Check out this
usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-ne1.html

You said you was zone 9..........your not

Illinois is zone 5b according to this page.
I am 6a

penna

dodge

-
 -
by melcon6 on September 03, 2006 04:07 AM
Dodge, I'm pretty sure Patches/Patti knows what zone she is, she was just quoting another person, Floweringchild/Stephanie who lives in Louisianna and is probably zone 9. [grin] [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by dodge on September 03, 2006 04:11 AM
ok.............

dodge

-
 -
by patches1414 on September 04, 2006 12:09 AM
Dodge, Mel is right I was just quoting about the zone floweringchild said she was in. I've always thought I was in zone 5, but the zone map for my city and zip code says I'm in zone 6A! [clappy] Actually, I just found this out yesterday and I'm thrilled. [clappy] [thumb]

I did start some of my white ones from seeds two years ago and some of them did bloom the first year they were in the ground. [thumb]

-
 -
by dodge on September 04, 2006 02:48 AM
Lucky you.

I printed that list to keep my memory up .
Zonie is a zoo.

;o)

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dimondia margarethe| Next thread: Dionea muscipula »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: