The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Need name of Cherry bush or shrub.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Need Lily Info| Next thread: Need opinions please »
Back to Thread index
by Kingfisher on July 15, 2005 09:44 AM
Hey folks, how is everyone been, just dodging storms here in Alabama. My grandmother used to have several shrub like cherry bushes. They were about 6 to 8 feet tall and about 3 to 4 feet wide. They had a leaf simular to a river birch. The fruit was a small cherry no bigger than a dime, with a seed. The color was not dark red like most cherries, it was red but kinda lighter shade. Very good fruit and makes great jelly. Those bushes have died off since 3 years ago. They may have been purchased from one of those hybrid plant catalogs. I have not had any luck finding a bush simular to these over the past 6 months. Just curious if anyone has these or have ever known what kind they are. Thanks for any help.

Bakin in Bama.
by mike57 on July 15, 2005 09:13 PM
HI [wayey] Kingfisher i think what your looking for is a Nanking cherry bush.heres a couple of links i found for you.

http://www.azcentral.com/home/garden/articles/0527cherry27.html

http://henryfields.com/product.asp?pn=17048&home=1&sid=601731&EID=GL00000001011
hope this helps.your alabama friend in gardening.mike57 [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.
by Kingfisher on July 16, 2005 03:55 AM
Mike, Thanks. Henry Fields is exactly where they were ordered from 20 years ago. Nanking is the exact bush we remember. Hope to have them in the ground this fall if they have them in stock. Thanks again, Maybe when the come in I may send you a jar of homemade jelly.
by mike57 on July 16, 2005 08:14 PM
HI Kingfisher your very welcome for the help any time.and the jelly sounds great.glad i could help.your friend in gardening.mike57

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Need Lily Info| Next thread: Need opinions please »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: