The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

PHOTO HEAVY- The Great Backyard Patio Project

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by geegeeburr on November 21, 2004 05:28 AM
Well, we started out Great Backyard Patio Project last wednesday, and here are some shots of our backyard before- full of lots of construction debris, because we're also getting our roof replaced. (There aren't usually piles of trash all over the backyard.)

Under almost everything in this photo is old, broken pavers made out of thick aggregate concrete
 -

This is where all the outdoor cats in our neighborhood apparently like to go to poop. [Frown]
 -

And this is where our big drainage problem is- this tree is at the bottom of a slope that shoots all the standing water to this patio door, where it stays.
 -

-
by geegeeburr on November 21, 2004 05:45 AM
Okay, here are some of the problems we encountered while digging.

This is one of the five gi-normous bushes that we had to take out because they were in the path of the retaining wall, the patio, or because they blocked the swing of the gates into our yard.  -

And THIS is where the previous owner ran wiring to the garage- underground, with no protection but a PVC PIPE!!!  -
(When we bought the house, our inspector found this problem, and we made it a condition of buying the house that they fix it. We found out after we closed that they only fixed the part that was VISIBLE!) Talk about buyer beware! So -now we're older and wiser. (Oh, and this same kind of crap from the seller is why we're replacing the roof- they had an existing leak that they didn't disclose.)

-
by geegeeburr on November 21, 2004 06:02 AM
So now we've dug a trench where the base of the retaining wall will sit, removed we figure about 4 tons of concrete aggregate and buried bricks, carried in about 3 tons of retaining wall blocks, and started the wall:
 -
All of the dirt on the side where the compost bin is will still has to be dug out and sloped away from the house, down toward that gate you see at the end, and the flagstone put in. The extra dirt will go to the other side of the wall, and about 2 or 3 more courses of the wall still have to be put in.
 -

And this section is the only section that's completely dug out, with the gravel and sand bed put in and graded and compacted and ready for pavers. There's a small section of the retaining wall in the background, closer to the ladder, that you can't see in this shot, cause there's still dirt in the way.
 -

So I called today to order my flagstone, and I had checked with the guy at the rockyard THREE TIMES as to how much material we would need-- turns out he had told me the wrong amount all three times, and we're going to need TWICE as much! So the total price of this project just increased by about 50 percent. GRRRRR!!!!

So that's it so far. It doesn't look so great so far, does it Bess? But when it's done, it's gonna ROCK!

Bill- I hope these photos are okay? I know it can be a problem, so I'm trying to put a maximum of 3 photos in each post. Please let me know if it's okay. Thanks!

-
by weezie13 on November 21, 2004 07:50 AM
Very Nice project,
looks like it'll end up very nicely!!!

You have the style yard they like to use alot
for that one HGTV show with Susie Coelho's
"Surprise Gardener",
You ought to get yourself signed up and maybe they'd come finish it for you!!!
Hey just an idea [thinker]

And I have the exact same compost bin too [thumb] !!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by geegeeburr on November 21, 2004 08:59 AM
Hey, I like that show! She has a newer show, too, I forget what it's called, but you're right- it's exactly the same kind of yard she usually does. Probably because it's So Cal, and they shoot mostly out here. We joked at the beginning that we should call Weekend Warriors.

But the way THIS project is going, and add the fact that it just rained and our un-covered, half-finished roof just leaked all over our living room and dining room, I think maybe we're good candidates for In A Fix! LOL

-
by weezie13 on November 21, 2004 10:12 AM
Or EXTREME MAKE~OVER'S [Wink] [Big Grin]

Gosh, would I love to be on that show...

Sorry to hear about your leak,
definately KNOW how that one goes!! [Roll Eyes] [Embarrassed] [Frown]

Hope you get it fixed soon!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by gardenmom32210 on November 21, 2004 02:39 PM
Good God,GG...you've got your hands FULL! Its gonna be great when you get done [thumb] [clappy]

I LOVE those shows [flower] I would love to be on "While you were Out",I would give up my dining room to make a "Mens Club" for my hubby. I even have a wall they could knock out to make it bigger. It would have a pool table(we had to sell ours when we moved a few years back),our cabinet style dart board,all of his Nascar & Jaguar stuff and a bar. Hmmmm...I might just have to apply...you never know!

G-Mom [grin]
by melcon6 on November 21, 2004 04:39 PM
WOW , what a lot of work ! [thumb] That is gonna be such a nice spot for you guys when it's finished! I think I saw in one of the pictures the wires for your computer out there where you can sit under the sun and chat with us ! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Bess of the Piedmont on November 22, 2004 11:45 PM
Geegee- it looks GREAT! I just LOVE the curved retaining wall. [thumb] Beautiful design. Who came up with it?

-
 -
by geegeeburr on November 23, 2004 05:50 AM
G-mom- You should DEFINITELY apply for While You Were Out! They seem to LOVE the theme rooms, and yours is so sweet, I bet they'd love that you're willing to do that for your hubby. (And you'd get to meet Andrew Dan Jumbo--yum, yum!)

Bess- I designed it- thanks! [Smile] I think it's going to look real nice when it's done. We've on a bit of a hold now, cause we had to send the baby to day care one day last week, and of course he came back with a monster cold, which he of course passed on to me. I'm hoping we'll be able to shake the colds by tomorrow, and maybe get back to digging by Weds. We may even work on it on Turkey day. More updates as we go...

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: