The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

i'm trying...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Jiffymouse on November 05, 2004 07:03 PM
just wanted to show you the beginnings of my pond area...

-
by afgreyparrot on November 05, 2004 08:18 PM
That's a good spot. Nice and close to the house, so you can hear the water when you sit on the porch. [thumb]

I made mine too far from the house. But, since it's in the ground, guess I'll only be moving it in my dreams!

cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by plants 'n pots on November 05, 2004 09:41 PM
Very nice Jiffymouse!!! Will you be able to stock it now, or does it get too cold where you are during the winter?

Cindy is absolutely correct, in your good placement of the pond. I also tried to find a good place for our small bathtub pond that we just finished putting in, so we could hear it on our second story deck. I ended up putting it near the bottom of the stairs, as you did. We won't be able to do any more with it until next spring, although I did put in a few ornamental grasses 2 days ago that I got 50% off. [thumb] Funny thing is, when my husband was trying out the different pump sprayers, some of them were not as relaxing as they could have been - sounded more like someone was taking a very badly needed tinkle! [Big Grin] [dunno] [Embarrassed] [nutz] [lala]

Mind if I share a picture of mine also?
Deck stairs are just to the right...
 -

-
Can't wait to see more pictures of your pond as it gets developed! Keep up the good work!

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by afgreyparrot on November 06, 2004 03:39 AM
Nice, Lynne!

Does the drain work?

Reason I ask is, I just made a pond, and every time it rains it would overflow onto the entire yard! [Mad] And, all the crap from the yard would end up in the pond.
So, I had to put an overflow pipe in it this week, and had to dig my yard up all the way over to the hill, about 30 feet. Big job, but it works! Used 1" waterline for the pipe.
 -

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by plants 'n pots on November 06, 2004 04:41 AM
Love your pond, Cindy!

My husband plugged up the bottom drain, and put in a metal disk type drain with many small holes in it - don't know the proper name for it - where the overflow/stopper was. He also connected it to piping and fed it out into the yard. Like you, we also got a lot of debris from the falling leaves, etc in it - hopefully that won't be much of a problem in the spring once it's up and running.

Because it's so small, I'm thinking that I'll only be able to put a few feeder type fish in it - is that correct? It will also only hold a few plants - oh, well... we wanted to start small and were getting rid of the tub anyway. [thumb]

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Jiffymouse on November 07, 2004 01:00 AM
[thumb] thank you for sharing lynne & cindy! love both of them and they give me soooooo many ideas. i can have fish, i just haven't gotten any yet. most of the time it doesnt get below 40 here. once in a while it will get down to 30 and for about 2 weeks, it will get to the mid 20's. and then *poof* winter is over and spring is sprung! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: