The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

the birds in the gardens

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: The Bird Bath| Next thread: The Breck's Bulbs »
Back to Thread index
by Appsparkey on June 26, 2005 11:03 PM
I have two problems actually - one - the morning doves are eating my chicks and hens.
Second - how do you keep the birds from eating your vegatbles when they produce. Last year - they just dont eat one or two - which would be fine - but the eat all of them. (I have recently moved to S Milwaukee from the country)

I have looked, but cannot seem to find anything on the market to keep them away. I will not fence in my gardens and do not put things into my gardens that will hurt anybody, but I am at wits end here. Any help is always appreciated.
by tkhooper on June 26, 2005 11:35 PM
netting has been used to good effect by some of our gardeners. But possibly you don't want to do that if you are against fencing. I'm not sure what to tell you. I'm sorry. I'm just a beginner someone else may have the solution you are looking for.

-
 -
by mom54 on June 27, 2005 12:10 AM
I wish birds were MY problem. It's the robber squirrels I have to contend with!!!!! [Mad]

-
by afgreyparrot on June 27, 2005 12:16 AM
I used to tie those throw away aluminum pie pans to a tall stake in my vegetable gardens at the farm. When the sun reflects off the pie pans, it scares the birds away.

I also had a giant 6' long blow-up snake I put in the garden...and a bunch of those big rubber snakes (they cost about a buck each). Sometimes I'd be in the garden and see one of my fake snakes and it would freak me out for just a second...especially when I stepped on one. [Embarrassed]

But, it did help keep the birds from eating stuff.

Cindy Faye

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Longy on June 27, 2005 12:22 AM
Bird netting is really cheap and light enought to be held up by a few old tomato stakes or similar. You can use all sorts of deterents like hanging CD's around or scarecrows or a rubber snake but exclusion is the best defence. A net's not really a fence. It's just temporary while the fruit is filling. I didn't know doves ate chooks??? I assume you mean they're eating their food. I only feed mine at certain times and the chooks get the lot. I did have a feeder but as you say the wildbirds keep getting it. Now it's a few big handfuls in the mornings (with their porridge and scraps of course) and then no more seed until tomorrow. They have a huge area to range though.

-
The secret is the soil.
by Appsparkey on June 27, 2005 10:52 AM
wow - this sight is great - I just posted my questions this morning, and already have alot to work with - thank you.
by Mothman on June 27, 2005 10:35 PM
Rabbits are my nemesis! I bought plastic chicken "wire" at WalMart and bamboo stakes from BigLots - 99 cents for 20! - solved the rabbit problem. Birds also are hard on my bean sprouts. I have been covering the seeds with a tunnel of 1/2 inch hardware cloth until the seedlings are well up. Birds have not been a bother since. Starting to get red tomatoes and lots of beans and cukes 06-27-05 Good Gardening!
by EagleWolf on June 28, 2005 06:46 AM
Here's a few items from a web site that I order from. They have some good products for deer and rabbit control as well.

Gardner's Supply Company

~ Chris
Zone 5
by MissJamie on June 28, 2005 08:42 AM
longy I think they were talking about the plant hen and chicks lol. I'd go with the netting :-)

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by Brendan on June 28, 2005 09:52 PM
You can buy reflective tape at most gardening supply stores to string up around the garden. When wind blows the tape it reflects everywhere, scaring birds away. Its a very cheap and easy solution and has prevented birds from eating my blueberries...so far.
Brendan
by Longy on June 29, 2005 03:50 AM
longy I think they were talking about the plant hen and chicks lol. I'd go with the netting :-)
++++++++++++++++++++++++
ROFLMAO.

Yeah goodonya Miss Jamie, i reckon you're possibly right.
Oh well, i'm from the other side of the planet. Whaddya expect?

-
The secret is the soil.
by Appsparkey on June 29, 2005 10:43 AM
Actually for the rabbit and deer problems - I use a natural product that stinks to high heaven when wet - but works like nothing else. It is called liquid fence. It does not harm wildlife or pets, also, it is safe for a garden.

Yes I was refering to the plant - chicks and hens - but thank you all the same. I have some old cds that are hanging in the garden now. Me and snakes - even fake ones - that will have to be my last resort. Thanks for all the help.
by EagleWolf on June 30, 2005 11:38 AM
I've got the garlic stackes in my garden. It seems to be working well, but I keep running them over with the tire on the lawn mower.

~ Chris
Zone 5

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: The Bird Bath| Next thread: The Breck's Bulbs »
Back to Thread index