The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Sweet peas and dahlias...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Gingerrr on April 18, 2004 05:04 AM
Hello everybody,

I can not even say that I am "novice" here because I have never done ANY THING related to gardening in my whole life. Last year we were looking for a house or a condo- and I didn't want to have a house because I didn't know at all what to do with the garden (neither my husband did!). But, then we saw this one- and simply fall in love- with the house and with the garden that was carefully set up by a professional. Now my biggest fear is- to turn it down.

It seems that there where different kind of daylilies that started peaking already (even though I have done nothing with them last fall- should I?)

I realize that it might be too late now- but an advisor in the flower shop told me that I still can plant dahlias in pot ans re-plant them later on.
First, when I took a tuber out of the plastic bag- I didn't know where its "eye" is, so I had no idea if it is now in the right position. Is it really "critical"? Second, it seems that I am in the zone 4b- are there any chances that the flower will bloom this season (if it survives at all!) Moreover, it seems to me that the soil is a bit too wet now- could it do any damage?
Where should I keep the pot- in the garage, in the basement or somewhere in the sunlight?

My second "victim" was sweat pea. I put the seeds in water overnight (according to the intruction on the packet) and then planted them in jiffy-pots, 2 or 3 in each. But then I read somewhere that seeds should not be planted deeper then 2-3 times ot their diameter and in another book it says- 2 or 3 inches. Mine (I believe) are in about 1.5- 2 inches. Is it oK to keep them there? Also, I am not quite sure- should they be kept in "cool dark place" or somewhere on the window?
by afgreyparrot on April 18, 2004 07:56 AM
Hi, Gingerrr,
I'm the "forum fool", I guess, so don't look to me for too many answers!!! I couldn't believe the dahlia when I got my first one! All those things hanging off of it! But, it was sort of obvious to me which way to plant it, since it had already started growing in the plastic bag it came in (Wally-World Dahlia!). I'm sure someone will come around here and see your post and be able to help you. If there's not a reply by tomorrow a.m., I'll grab my digital camera and get a shot of a few I haven't planted this year, to show you which way is UP!
As for the other question...well, like I said, not too many answers here. But, I'm good for a few laughs sometimes!
Nice to meet you! [wayey]

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Chrissy on April 18, 2004 08:10 AM
Hi Gingerrr,
I am no expert, but I have had sweet peas in my garden for a long time. Here's how I plant them:

1/4 inch sowing depth, germination temp 55 to 65 degrees, I have had them germinate under grow lights & with diffused sunlight & even in low light. They germinate in about 2 weeks usually. They need about 6 weeks to be big enough to transplant, & then they need to be spaced around a foot apart give or take an inch or two. They can handle a light frost, but not a big winter freeze where the temps drop big time. They like full sun once transplanted & fertile soil. You might also want to provide support for them as they vine out. About dahlias I know zero [dunno] I [Love] them, but have never grown any.

-
 -
z5b
by obywan59 on April 18, 2004 10:30 AM
I don't think it's critical if you can't see an eye. Just plant the tuber horizontally 2-4 inches below the surface of the soil. You should have it in the light and keep it watered, but not saturated.

There's not much you need to do to the daylilies except mulch them unless you want to divide some to move somewhere else.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Ravensrun65 on April 22, 2004 04:03 PM
Here's my 2 cents....if you start seeds in shade or indoors, you have to SLOWLY get them use to the sun, or just like us, they'll sunburn. Put them in a shady spot for 3-4 days, then a little further out where they'll get dappled sun for another 3-4 days, and just check on them, if they appear to be burning or anything, back up the process....then after dappled shade, move them where they get morning sun for a few days, and finally, move them to full sun! I know it sounds like alot, but you'll get the hang of it! Just keep checking on them and make sure not to burn them to a crisp....most things will do fine this way.
Hope this helps,
Rae
P.S. Don't foget to water them!

"I would feel more optimistic about a
bright future for mankind if we spent less
time proving that we can outwit Mother Nature
and more time tasting her sweetness and
respecting her seniority."
by Cricket on April 24, 2004 12:00 AM
Hi Gingerrr,

I'm not an expert but I believe that your sweet peas aren't too fussy about the depth you planted the seeds - if too deep, they'll take longer to come up. About a month ago I planted sweet peas (1 packet) in a hanging basket and layered the seeds. They are now about 2" high and I hope to have a profusion of scented flowers hanging by my patio door. Good luck with your gardening endeavours!
by Gingerrr on April 24, 2004 11:44 AM
Thanks to everybody!
One of my 6 dahlias is already out for ~ an inch and even if this will be the only one this year- I will be happy.
Will see the sweet peas that are still sitting quetly in their pots- and I have to hold my own hands not to dig them out and see what is going on! [Big Grin]

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: