The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Minimal Care Perenials

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Jodi13 on August 07, 2006 04:51 AM
I am looking for some colorful perenials to plant on my mother-in-laws side bank to add some color to her yard. The problem is that she doesn't keep up with watering or dead heading and I only get to her house about once a week. Any suggestions?
by daylily77 on August 07, 2006 07:18 AM
I've read that moonbeam coreopsis is easy to grow/take care of. It's very pretty too, with lots of soft yellow blooms continuously!
by tkhooper on August 07, 2006 10:17 AM
Is that area full sun, partial shade or full shade? I'm assuming it is zone 5? For all summer blooms I'd go with an annual. They bloom longer than most perennials. And you only have to plant them once a year. I have great success with zinnia. They bloom and bloom and give lots of colors and they are great in cut flower arrangements too. Plus they develop lots of seeds that you can use to plant next year. I think it's a win win with those. And I've never really had to do anything to keep them growing.

Why don't you get some of those drip hoses and put them on a timer. Then she wouldn't have to worry about watering the flowers. It would be done automatically.

If the area is wind protected I love peonies but they only bloom for about 2 weeks in the spring and then you have to wait until next year for more blooms.

If you get the watering taken care of then once a week might be plenty of time for caring for some hardy roses. Just a thought.

-
 -
by dodge on August 13, 2006 02:14 PM
Jodi

The Coreopsis, only blooms at the end of July ,,
Right now I have growing since spring , Green and white varigated snow on the mountain, in front and behind that is Fern Leaf Bleeding hearts.. Still blooming ..........Both perennials and long in color........Red hen and chickens........Or green.
Or if you like gold and black types.. I have Black eyed daisys, blanket plant, and Rudbeckia.. All care free.....All colors go together ......Also Mexican hat.. all perennials and easy.

dodge [gabby]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by cinta on August 13, 2006 05:43 PM
My mother is up in age and is unable to care for the gardens. I planted....

-Sedum They bloom and spread to take care of the weeds. Also you can get colors that are steady all seasons.
-Semps. As dodge said there are colors in this plant also.
-Dayliles do not need to be watered or deadheaded.
Iris - Bearded, Louisiana, Sibs.
Bulbs (Daffodils, Asiatic Lilies, Oriental Lilies) This fall plant some bulbs for Spring and summer blooms.

All of these once they are in you will not need to water or deadhead.

Where in PA do you live? I might be able to help you out. PM me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/audwoman/

If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain!!
by CajunMama on August 14, 2006 02:18 AM
Jodi,

I agree with cinta. I have planted 100s of bulbs in the past 2 years, and there is minimal care needed for them, check out the rhizomes also, like cannas.

I only have time to weed once a week, and I have the red mulch covering the flower bed. This is the first year I've done it, and oh my, what a difference it makes. You can see the weeds more easily, and it takes less time to actually weed. In previous years it was at least an entire day long event to weed my flower bed. This year, I can get it done in about 30 minutes! [clappy]

-
CajunMama
"Sing praises to the Lord..." Psalm 9:11
by gardenfairy on August 14, 2006 11:48 AM
I'm with you CajunMama, I LOVE Red mulch, helps control the weeds, and when you do get them you can see them better. I would suggest daylilies, you can get them in so many colors.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by dodge on August 14, 2006 01:08 PM
Jodi

Hope we were a bit helpful.

Good luck with mom.

dodge [Love]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: