The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Shasta Daisy & Snow Lady Difference?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Shasta Daisies| Next thread: Shedding Holly »
Back to Thread index
by daylily77 on August 03, 2006 03:41 PM
Is there any difference between Shasta Daisies and Snow Ladies? Here is the one I'm talking about http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?Code=I380 It seems that websites are using the names almost interchangeably. Am I right in assuming that the difference is height? Or does one seem to perform better than the other, etc? Thanks!
by gardenfairy on August 03, 2006 04:20 PM
I believe they are the same thing. I have Shasta Daisy's and they aren't looking too healthy right now?

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by patches1414 on August 03, 2006 06:21 PM
Daylily, I've always been under the impression that 'Snow Lady' and Shasta Daisies are one and the same. [dunno] Here is a picture of some of my Shasta Daisies this past spring and you can see the new little buds starting on it. By the end of June it was a solid ball of white daises and it was beautiful! [Wink]

-

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by daylily77 on August 03, 2006 06:47 PM
They're still SO beautiful, Patti! Thank you for sharing the picture! Is that one plant that spread out?

I saw this website that sells the seeds for Snow Ladies, it's the last one if you scroll down:

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/perennials/shasta_daisy.html

My question is.. does each seed make an entire plant?? Or do you have to plant more than one to make a plant? I just can't believe you could buy 50 plants for $3! It's more than that for only one already grown plant! Thanks again!
by TulsaRose on August 04, 2006 02:51 AM
Daylily, Snow Lady is a type (cultivar) of Shasta Daisy. In other words, it's a Shasta Daisy "Snow Lady." There are many others, including the Shasta Daisy "Becky" or Shasta Daisy "Elizabeth." I don't know if I'm explaining that clearly but thought it might help you out. There is some good info at this Ohio State University Website. I've never planted them from seeds so someone else will have to give you a hand with that question.

Patti, that is a gorgeous picture. I lost my Shasta Daisies along with a number of other perennials over the winter due to our drought conditions. I failed to do any supplemental watering until January so I was able to save all of the Peonies, Coneflowers, etc.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by patches1414 on August 04, 2006 09:33 PM
quote:
Patti! Thank you for sharing the picture! Is that one plant that spread out?

Yes, that was only one plant when I first planted it, but they do spread out very nicely. [thumb]

quote:
does each seed make an entire plant?? Or do you have to plant more than one to make a plant?
Actually, I've never started them from seed. I usually buy my plants or get starts from friends. If you know anyone who has some they could share with you, they're so easy to get started. Then you can get some starts from your own plants! [Wink] I've got them in several of my beds and I only started with about three plants several years ago. I love the Shasha Daisies and I stick them in wherever I can! [Big Grin]

Here are some I have planted in my perennial bed along the fence.

-

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by daylily77 on August 05, 2006 01:24 PM
They're beautiful! Thanks for the pics! [Wink]
by daylily77 on August 07, 2006 07:22 AM
Hi again, Patti! I have another question about these. Do they benefit from deadheading? I picked up and planted 2 more today. They were 50% off! Thanks a lot!
by patches1414 on August 07, 2006 08:09 AM
Hi Daylily! [wavey]

Yes, definitely! [thumb] I try to keep my Shasta Daisies deadheaded to encourage more blooms because this allows the immature buds to get more nourishment and I can keep them blooming into fall. [flower] [flower] You can just snip off the dead flower, but I prefer to cut the flower and stem a few inches below the flower to a place where I see a new bud coming in or a new branch starting. [Wink] [Smile]

-
 -
by daylily77 on August 07, 2006 09:10 AM
Thanks! [Smile]
by daylily77 on September 06, 2006 12:44 PM
Ok Patti, this is my last question (lol).. I was just wondering if you fertilize yours in the spring? I want mine to spread as much as yours! [flower]
by flowerpower313 on September 06, 2006 06:42 PM
Shasta Daisy "Alaska" has huge flowers- the diameter of coffee mugs. Also it grows 3ft high by 3ft wide. Regular field daises here grow less than 2 ft high.
by patches1414 on September 07, 2006 12:24 AM
Daylily, no, I don't fertilize the Shasta Daisies in the spring or any other time of the year. [Frown] They seem to do quite well on their own without any help from me; [Big Grin] except for deadheading, which does wonders. [thumb] I do keep my soil amended as needed and I use compost in my beds. [Wink] Actually, I tend to use very little fertilizer on any of my perennial plants unless they are newly planted or struggling, but I do use it sparingly on my annuals. I always use Root Tone or some type of root stimulator when putting in any trees, shrubs, bushes or new plants. [Wink]

-
 -
by plantqueen on September 07, 2006 03:41 AM
Love the shasta daisies! I need to buy myself some of those!

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by daylily77 on September 07, 2006 11:26 AM
Thanks a lot, Patti!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Shasta Daisies| Next thread: Shedding Holly »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: