The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Removing Grass/Other from New Beds

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by RogersDA on June 18, 2004 06:28 PM
Good Day, All,

I just got through having a large number of raised beds installed. Too much work for me to get them in, so I hired a landscaper to do most of the work. Unfortunately, the beds are showing a large amount of grass shooting up through the soil and mulch. The landscaper applied a preemergent before planting, but he did not apply a nonselective killer such as Roundup before planting.

My question is, how do I best control these grass shoots? There are too many of them to remove by hand, and they reappear almost overnight. Will a product like Roundup do the trick? I don't want to use that if it will harm the surrounding plantings.

Regards,
David
by weezie13 on June 20, 2004 03:43 PM
Hello RogersDA, [wayey]
Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum!
We are very glad you found us!

Can I ask a question or two?

How long ago did this landscaper put your beds in?

And how much plant work did the landscaper put in?
Is it realitively a small number of plantings?

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by RogersDA on June 21, 2004 04:53 AM
--Can I ask a question or two?

Yes, you may ask as many as you desire. [Wink]

--How long ago did this landscaper put your beds in?

He did them all over the span of about 1 week. He finished about 10-14 days ago, depending on the particular bed. Obviously, the "older" beds are showing more grass shoots than the newer ones.

--And how much plant work did the landscaper put in? Is it realitively a small number of plantings?

The number depends on the bed size. The main bed has well over 50 Liriope muscari (Variegated Liriope border grass), 4 Spirea japonica (Japanese spirea), 3 Buxus sempervirens (common boxwood), 5 Juniperus procumbens (Japanese Garden Juniper), and 1 Thuja occidentalis (Eastern Arborvitae).

The remaining four front beds have similar plantings, but they are much smaller and, therefore, do not have the same quantity of plants. These beds may also include a few Echinacea Magnus (coneflower) and several Pennisetum Alopecuroides (Fountain grass). Overall the front yard has about 100 or more individual plants.

The back is not as "ornamental", ans uses larger plants such as laurels, hydrangea, and Aucuba, along with some hosta, St. Hohns Wort, and a blueberry for my (hopefully) personal enjoyment.

Regards,
David
by frustratedattimes on June 21, 2004 04:02 PM
When I built my raised beds this spring, I used the dirt I removed from my back yard. After I planted about 80 plants of course here come the weeds and grass. What worked for me was to mix up some round up in a sprayer. Then on a very calm day, I sprayed each individual weed holding the nozzle right against the weed I was spraying. I did not lose a single bedding plant, and I killed the weeds. That is not to say I am still not weeding [Mad] but it is alot better than before.

Hope this helps

I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne
http://community.webshots.com/user/johncandy1005
by weezie13 on June 21, 2004 04:25 PM
RogersDA,
Have you contacted your landscaper about this,
since it's only been such a short period of time since it was installed and grass is coming up already???

That would be my very first thing to do,
that person installed it, you paid, I'm sure,
a pretty penny to install it, and grass shouldn't be *IMHO* coming thru, that quickly!!!!!!! [Frown] [Mad]

I could see if, in a few years it started to come up, but not already in 2 weeks, that's almost insane..
*Again, only my opinion!! I'd be hopin' mad!*
Only because I paid for a job, supposedly by a *at least* a professional and even if they weren't, they were still "PAID" for a job.

Can you contact that landscaper and tell them of your plight, and see if they are willing to come rectify it? Especially before too much more time has gone by and I personally wouldn't do anything to kill the grass right now, I'd let it grow a tad bit and have that landscaper come look at it!

Please keep us posted to your out come!
I truely would be interested in the out come!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by RogersDA on June 26, 2004 06:29 AM
Weezie,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I have made several attempts to get the landscaper to correct the problem. But, I can't make him drive over and fix the problems. [Mad]

The only recourse I have right now is that I requested some some extra work beyond the original scope. I told him to bill me, but that has not happened. If he ever does then I may use that as a bit of leverage to get him to help fix the problem.

So, it appears that I am stuck going out there every day with my big bottle of RoundUp and "fixing" whatever sprouted.

Its amazing: the grass in the beds grows faster and better than the grass in the lawns. Maybe I should convert my entire lawn to a bed in order to get better looking grass! [thumb]

Regards,
David
by weezie13 on June 26, 2004 07:08 AM
Hmmmmmmmmm,
I'd threaten him with the "S" word!

(Hate to say that with the landscapers here)
but that's not right to pay for a job done and
it isn't installed correctly!

Sometimes using the term "you're going to let your mouth run like water about their abilities,
or practices, or their policies to people in the area" And you'll go out of your way to discuss it with anyone that will listen...(grocery stores, barber's, getting your car fixed, the golf course, etc.. you know what I mean!)
Or you won't be recommending him for a future job for yourself or anyone else for that matter.

You wrote;
quote:
Its amazing: the grass in the beds grows faster and better than the grass in the lawns. Maybe I should convert my entire lawn to a bed in order to get better looking grass
I had to laugh on that one!!!
I have a strawberry bed that's doing the same thing, better in there than on my lawn, I know exactly how you feel!!!

Please, keep us posted again if they fix it for you!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: