The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Whats wrong with my Pear Tree?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Whats the secret to growing corn?| Next thread: Whatzit? »
Back to Thread index
by gardenmom32210 on June 03, 2005 03:49 PM
I had a minor problem with aphids but took care of it with soapy water. Now I have these brown spots...could they be damage from the aphids or is it something else?

-

G-Mom [grin]
by weezie13 on June 03, 2005 10:08 PM
I can't really say...
*what it looks like, I've never had*

But sometimes, aphids are caused by....
Wrong growing conditions.....
Too much nitrogen......

Tell use how you're growing it?
ie; sunlight, watering, ferlizers, how old is it?
Did it give you a growing zone for that plant??
Or is the mulch up too close to the stem?

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by LMT on June 03, 2005 10:20 PM
I like the soapy water trick, I use lemon scented and drizzle it straight out of the bottle then mist the tree (shrub, ground or whatever).

Pear Rust Mite? Maybe.

If you have a juicer, I'd juice a few cloves of garlic, add a table spoon or so of lemon scented soap and combine with water in a mister (like an empty 16-24 ounce fantastic or windex bottle) and mist the tree down and see if that doesn't arrest the development over the next couple weeks.
Linky

--

The poster former known as NearWater.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by Longy on June 04, 2005 12:19 PM
That looks a lot like anthracnose. A fungal disease. It can be organically treated by a treatment with bordeaux sprayed 3 times 7 days apart. Don't spray when the flowers are open and spray again once the fruit has set. This is a common problem with mango too. It gets on the young fruit and they go black and drop off. Looks identical to what you have on the pear.

-
The secret is the soil.
by gardenmom32210 on June 04, 2005 02:37 PM
quote:
I'd juice a few cloves of garlic, add a table spoon or so of lemon scented soap and combine with water in a mister
I've never tried garlic,thanks [thumb] I usually put a handful of dried arbol peppers with dish soap in a jug and let it stew. I put it in a mister and spray away! It works great on all of my plants,for all of the bugs [thumb]

quote:
a treatment with bordeaux sprayed
Are you talking "The Wine"? Or is that the name of a product you DON'T drink? [dunno]

G-Mom [grin]
by weezie13 on June 04, 2005 06:35 PM
I thought the same thing G~mom!!! [Wink] [Wink]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by LMT on June 04, 2005 09:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by gardenmom32210:
[QB] [QUOTE] I'd juice a few cloves of garlic, add a table spoon or so of lemon scented soap and combine with water in a mister
I've never tried garlic,thanks [thumb] I usually put a handful of dried arbol peppers with dish soap in a jug and let it stew. I put it in a mister and spray away! It works great on all of my plants,for all of the bugs [thumb]

Hot peppers are excellent. Their oil is an excellent solvent for sticky garlic oil as well. It's as if they are natural companions, they are on my garlic bread.

Currently listening to: Vince Guaraldi Trio -- A Charlie Brown Christmas. Adult and contemporary but evocative of youth and innocence, a must own CD.
by Longy on June 05, 2005 12:07 PM
a treatment with bordeaux sprayed
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
LOL. It's also called "bluestone" and was discovered to be a natural fungicide in Bordeaux in France so was used on grapes. (Thus the Bordeaux you drink i guess). They're hard to mix up though. One's a blue powder, the other i assume to be red liquid. I'm sure it's available for you. Google "bordeaux fungicide" for a wealth of information. If it is anthracnose, and there is plenty of info on the google suggesting that pears are susceptible, i've found it to be a great preventive and cure. I have anthracnose probs on my mangoes in a wet summer.

-
The secret is the soil.
by gardenmom32210 on June 05, 2005 03:03 PM
I can't find "fungicide bordeaux" over here,so I'll just pick up a good all-purpose fungicide.

Thanks [kissies]

G-Mom [grin]
by Longy on June 05, 2005 03:15 PM
I'll just pick up a good all-purpose fungicide.
++++++++++++++++++
try some copper-oxychloride then GM. Very handy for other more serious fungal problems, also good for coating vege seeds you collect yourself to store until next year. Though i still prefer bordeaux........the drink too;)

-
The secret is the soil.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Whats the secret to growing corn?| Next thread: Whatzit? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: