The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Trees in pots

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by Meg on June 15, 2004 05:39 PM
I decided to put my free arbor day trees into pots.. well, the ones that weren't already planted. Still, there are PLENTY of them. I can't believe I still have 10 things I could plant. Not that I have room for all of them, but there's always giving them away..lol.

Question is this-
I'm waiting to see how they do, ie- live or die, grow or not. Now, it's summertime here. When would be the best time to put any of these in the ground if they make it ok? Late summer/early fall? Or should I hold out until early next Spring?

Which brings a 2nd question to mind. They are in pots, out on my deck right now. If I don't bury them in the ground before fall, should I bring them inside for the winter?

Meg

-
 -

I reject your reality, and substitue my own!
My favorite digital camera photos that I took.
My family, garden, and a bunch of misc. photos!
by obywan59 on June 15, 2004 05:55 PM
I would put them in in the ground once the weather cools. Probably early September. Either in the pots or in their permanent location in the ground. I would protect them though. If you leave them in their pots, you could plant them all together and protect them with row cover. If you plant them in their permanent location, I'd protect them with tree tubes.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Eugene Carroll on June 15, 2004 09:06 PM
If the trees are important, I would not plant them in the ground until the stem was at least 1-1.5 inches in diameter, unless a tree shelter was used. You are risking damage by animals, frost, people, etc. Tree shelters can be found on the web, and are well worth the investment. I use "Blue-X" but there are many brands available:

http://www.growtube.com/seedlingshelters.html

That's just my opinion, though.
by Meg on June 15, 2004 11:31 PM
So Eugene, you're saying I should keep them in the pots, until they are wider around, correct? And if I do this, then should they be brought indoors for the winter? I doubt they'll be that wide before frost hits here. Most are thin, like a twig!! Those tube things look pretty neat tho.. I bookmarked that one!!

Meg

-
 -

by obywan59 on June 16, 2004 12:45 AM
Meg, it will be years before your trees are that big in diameter. You'll have to keep repotting them yearly in bigger and bigger pots. I've found it's not necessary. I think it's better to get them in the ground either this year or next year overwintering them only once in their pots. It's best to get their roots growing in the soil and to get them acclimated to their site. I've had excellent luck planting very small trees outside as soon as I got them protected only by a cage made of concrete reinforcing wire. (Like a tomato cage) Tubes will give added protection from the wind. Of course, these trees did have small root balls and didn't come bare root as ADF trees do.

Even if you choose to leave them in their pots, I'd recommend leaving them outside.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Eugene Carroll on June 16, 2004 05:20 AM
I agree with obiwan, you can leave the pots outside, but I'd keep them protected. The 1" diameter is my personal preference. I've seen too many cases of small trees bitten by sqirrels or rabbits or stumbled over in the snow, etc. Usually they resprouted but you loose a years growth. I use the tree shelters now. I think they work quite well, they boost the growth rate a bit, and make the tree grow straighter and taller. Sometimes birds fall into them though, they make plastic netting that you can put on the tubes with a rubber band.
by Eugene Carroll on June 16, 2004 05:23 AM
Oops, I sent you the wrong link. Those were seed shelters. Here are the tree shelters:

http://www.growtube.com/shelters.html
by petunialover on June 30, 2004 11:06 PM
The trees I got from the Arbor day site(which are very small) are in the ground, my new Japanese Maple is in a pot(my landlord ain't [flower] gettin' That one), pots will not be much protection for the roots here in zone 5 so I'm bringing it in, the little ones by fall will be fine, or I'll place a large pot over them filled with leaves to insulate against the cold. Trees that are indiginous do tolerate cold even as seedlings....

Pl

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the
idea that life is serious.
-- Brendan Gill
by Meg on July 01, 2004 05:02 PM
Well, an update on my trees from ADF. None of the 10 free flowering trees seem to be doing anything, except for one. It's the crabapple tree, the one nobody wants me to plant, for the mess it leaves on the ground. Somehow, I doubt that will be a problem until much later years.. the thing is only a foot long twig right now...lol. The rest of them seem to be doing NOTHING at all. I had pulled my cherry tree (which wasn't free) out of the ground, and put it in a pot, after it shriveled. The roots still looked good, so I put it in a pot as well. So far, nada. The free Maple they sent, I potted it, and it looks no different, but it also looks ok. The one I had put in the ground, looks bad to me.

I also purchased a peach tree from ADF, and planted that one in the ground. It is doing very well so far. It has 3 shoots coming off of it, with very nice looking leaves. The seedling they sent me of it, was about 4' and probably between 1/2" and 3/4" in diameter. It was the biggest one they sent.

Forsythias, doing great. Lost a couple arborvitaes. Most of them are doing ok tho. Out of 20 arborvitae's, I lost 4 or 5. Two of which were never planted.

Meg

-
 -

Active Garden Forum