The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Trumpet Vine help

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Trumpet vine bloom Question| Next thread: trumpet vines »
Back to Thread index
by Malica on July 31, 2006 06:42 PM
My trumpet vines have gotten a little out of hand with me neglecting the garden I inherrited from the previous owner, but I'm starting to look after them now.

The problem is that they've been popping up in the neighbour's lawn on the other side. I can tell she's not pleased as she suggested I cut the whole thing down today (not going to happen). Is there anything I can do to stop it from peaking through on her lawn? I figured I'd start by digging straight down at the fence line, but is it worth trying to put some sort of barrier underground to stop it from sneaking over? If so, how deep would that have to be?
by patches1414 on July 31, 2006 07:24 PM
Malicia, I had a Trumpet Vine many years ago and I had a similar problem. Mine wasn't showing up in my neighbor's yard, it was coming up all over in my yard. [Eek!] It was getting to be such a problem that I decided to take it out, which was not what I wanted to do. [Frown] It was such a beautiful plant and the hummingbirds loved it, but I felt I had no other choice. [dunno] I know this is not an answer for your problem, but I came here hoping to see what other people suggest. I hope someone can help you. [thumb]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by alankhart on August 01, 2006 03:06 AM
Since it spreads by seeds the only thing you could do would be to cut off the flowers right after they finish blooming to prevent them from going to seed. That would probably be a daunting task since they are usually covered in blooms and get quite large.

-
 -
 -
by plants 'n pots on August 01, 2006 03:29 AM
quote:
Originally posted by alankhart:
Since it spreads by seeds the only thing you could do would be to cut off the flowers right after they finish blooming to prevent them from going to seed. That would probably be a daunting task since they are usually covered in blooms and get quite large.
Interesting, Alan... [dunno]

Not to be argumentative, but in my experience, and from what I've read, the trumpet vines spread radically by underground runners, which is what makes it so difficult to totally eradicate.

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by alankhart on August 01, 2006 05:37 AM
Mine reseeded all over my front yard, as far away as 20 ft. When I went to dig it up , there were no underground runners, however, you are right...they do send out runners, especially in full sun and fertile soil. What I meant was that she would also have to deal with reseeding if she put a barrier down.

-
 -
 -
by plants 'n pots on August 01, 2006 06:20 AM
Interesting!

I don't think mine seed anywhere, though my rose of sharons are another subject altogether! [Razz] [dunno]

-
 -
by alankhart on August 01, 2006 09:33 AM
That's so funny...I have several Rose of Sharons and I have never had one reseed! Practically everyone I know who has them says theirs reseed all over the place.

-
 -
 -
by Malica on August 01, 2006 05:29 PM
I don't think I have to worry about reseeding in my neighbour's lawn and garden. She's retired and outside almost every day so something starting from seed doesn't stand a chance in her yard.

It's definitely underground runners -- they are popping up in my garden too, but I'm yet annoyed enough with it to remove the whole plant. I'm only now taking control of the gardens I inherrited 3 years ago with the house, so I'm not ready to remove anything that's not a weed. Just removing the weeds and pruning back unruly bushes has left enough 'empty canvases' for next year that I really don't need to create any more just yet.

Would even cutting any underground runners at the fence line make any difference, or would the runners that have already made their way onto her side be enough to support the plant still popping up on her side? I'm willing to excavate and try to cut the runners heading to her side if it will make a difference, but I'm wondering if there's even a point in that.
by plants 'n pots on August 02, 2006 05:11 AM
When I get runners, I usually spot them when they are quite small, and try to pull them straight up so as to get as much of the root as I can. I've had 2 vines growing on the side of my shed for about 9 years now, and I can honestly say that it really has not been too much of a problem.

-
 -
by RugbyHukr on August 02, 2006 01:56 PM
what kind of "trumpet vine" ?

tecomaria? distictis?

I would offer to go to her yard to cut them. I would never remove a plant over a whiner complaint

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Malica on August 03, 2006 06:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RugbyHukr:
what kind of "trumpet vine" ?

tecomaria? distictis?
er... is "orange" an option? [Embarrassed] It's definitely this one. Campsis radicans by the looks of things. I sure hope there's not a test on this later -- I barely pass the "weed/not weed" quiz as it is.

quote:
I would offer to go to her yard to cut them. I would never remove a plant over a whiner complaint
That's an excellent suggestion! Seeing as she has full view of most of my garden, I'm doubting she'll want me anywhere near hers, but I wouldn't mind doing that if she wants/lets me, or at the very least I can offer a compromise and remain neighbourly. Thank you so much for that.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Trumpet vine bloom Question| Next thread: trumpet vines »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: