The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

feverfew

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: fesque lawn dying#1now| Next thread: feverfew »
Back to Thread index
by kennyso on July 31, 2006 03:58 PM
Anyone heard of this? Anyone have any info?

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog
by alankhart on August 01, 2006 02:56 AM
Feverfew
(Chrysanthemum parthenium)
(Tanacetum parthenium)

Description

Various forms of feverfew grow to heights of between 9 inches and 2 feet. The deeply cut leaves are brightly colored and have a sharp, unpleasantly bitter taste. The flowers, which are produced from summer until mid-fall, are thick and daisy like with yellow centers.

Cultivation

Feverfew will thrive in the poorest soils. They can even make find a home in pavement cracks and and walls. Full sun is a must, as the plant is susceptible to mildew in the shade. It can be grown from seed or by root division. Cuttings can be rooted in early summer.

Harvesting

Cut leaves and flowers as required. The flowers may be dried face down on a flat surface and used in potpourri.

Medicinal Uses

Tablets and tinctures are the safest form of this herb when used medicinally. It is used for the relief of migraine, to help prevent blood clots, as an anti-inflammatory for relief of arthritis, to relieve some types of menstrual problems, and as a digestive aid.

Do not take this herb during pregnancy. Controlled doses of this herb are safest. Consult an herbalist if you are not sure about the dose.

Other Uses

Grow feverfew in the rose garden to attract aphids away from the rose bushes. Leaves and flowers act as a good moth deterrent. It also makes a nice cut flower.

-
 -
 -
by kennyso on August 01, 2006 05:53 AM
Thanks you for the info! Really appreciate it!

-
 -

Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth
My Website My Blog

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fesque lawn dying#1now| Next thread: feverfew »
Back to Thread index