The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

morning not-so-glorious

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: morning glorys| Next thread: Morning Visitor »
Back to Thread index
by kjr on July 30, 2006 03:47 AM
I planted a bunch of morning glories in a variety of garden spots. While some are happier than others where planted, all are vining and green -- but here it is nearly August and not one blossom yet. [dunno] Short of speaking lovingly to them every day, is there anything I can do to encourage blooms?

"To love what you do and feel it is worthwhile. . .
What could be more fun?"
by tkhooper on July 30, 2006 04:08 AM
If you look at the other morning glory topic it mentions stressing the plant in order to get it to bloom. They mention decreasing the amount of water they are getting.

If that doesn't work maybe a dose of bloom booster? I've never tried it so it's just a guess at this point.

-
 -
by melcon6 on July 30, 2006 04:58 AM
Mine don't bloom until mid-late august and sometimes not until September when school starts. Don't worry , they'll come. [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by loz on July 30, 2006 05:11 AM
I have a few growing in my yard and they've been blooming forever. I didn't do anything special though, just planted them. I water them daily and fed them maybe twice.

I need to remember to get a picture of them in the morning. [thumb]
by kjr on July 30, 2006 05:35 AM
Thanks All!
I do have a 200+ lb dog who plays soccer dangerously close to the plants. You'd think that would be stressful enough for these poor vines! However, I will take all of your words to heart and I will water/feed them a bit less often and try to wait patiently for blooms later in the season. Will post pictures if they pop. [kissies]

What could be more fun?"
by weezie13 on July 30, 2006 07:02 AM
What kind of soil did you plant them in???
Just outta curiousity???

Regular garden soil or a bagged soil,
and if bagged, what kind??????

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by alankhart on July 30, 2006 08:47 AM
If you use fertilizer on them, make sure it's low in nitrogen (the first #) or you may get lots of growth but little to no blooms.

-
 -
 -
by Tamara from Minnesota on July 30, 2006 03:09 PM
They like dryish, poor soil and little fertilizer, not too poor though- I've done that too! They require full sun to bloom. Maybe they are in too much shade?

-
by kjr on August 18, 2006 05:40 AM
Hi All,
Sorry I've been away for so long. I am here to report -- TAH DAH! [flower] -- at last I have a single, fat blue bloom on one of my morning glories!!!

To answer questions posed, I have some planted in the ground in low-ish light, most in bright light, with some of those in the ground (New England clay with some bagged soil and mulch) and some (incl the one that has popped)in a large pot. I did take the advice to neglect them just a bit, and they seemed to take off at that point. Perhaps they also like the cooler mornings we've had recently. I'm crossing fingers that there will be many more blooms to come. :-) Karen

What could be more fun?"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: morning glorys| Next thread: Morning Visitor »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: