The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

HELP! Gophers are invading me!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: HELP FLYING THINGS EVERY WHERE| Next thread: HELP! HELP!! HELP!!! »
Back to Thread index
by moonstar on May 27, 2004 04:36 AM
Does any one know how to rid gophers from messing up my yard and flower beds? I thought someone had dug a line across the yard when I first saw it ... now it is worse! They are every where...

-
by catlover on May 27, 2004 06:20 PM
quote:
I thought someone had dug a line across the yard
Mole or gopher??? From my experience...gophers just make an obnoxious pile of soil in the middle of my lawn with a round hole that is back filled with his soil. There will be many spots that he pops up but there will be no line across the grass. [Mad] Not good for the mower and unsightly...and KILLS MY CACTUS!!! [Mad]

Moles habit is to do the line through the grass and then pop up somewhere.

Those lines are the tunnels and they have many, many tunnels.
There are several threads on gophers...just go to forum search and type in gophers.
First you need to figure out if they are gophers or moles. [dunno]
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on May 27, 2004 09:32 PM
I wish a gopher would kill my cactus!!!
When I get better, and can go back outside and work in my garden, Chrissy will be getting another big box full of cactus!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by catlover on May 27, 2004 09:53 PM
[shocked] [shocked] You don't like cactus????
I am a cactophile!!! If Chrissy doesn't want that box you can ship it my way!!!

[kitty] [wayey]

-
 -
 -
by afgreyparrot on May 27, 2004 10:10 PM
Hey, there is PLENTY to go around! PM me with your address, and when I am able to go out and dig you will get a box of CACTUS!!!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by catlover on May 28, 2004 02:11 AM
PM'd the address but don't you go out diggin till you are totally healed!!!! Okie Dokie Pokie! [tongue] Sure don't want any busted guts spewing all over my cacti!!! [Big Grin]

Thanks again Cindy! Remember only if there is enough for both....send Chrissy's first!!! [kitty]

-
 -
 -
by Eugene Carroll on June 12, 2004 02:27 AM
Gophers dig holes, but they also prevent soil compaction and can improve the quality of soil (except where the holes are obviously).

Have you tried a dog?
by moonstar on June 12, 2004 06:49 AM
First off.... silly as I am... my son informs me that it is moles digging tunnels in the yard. I have a dog which is not helping....

-
by Eugene Carroll on June 12, 2004 05:30 PM
ah, for moles, a cat might be better. There is really no other way to deal with them except to poison them. Sometimes if you keep filling in their holes they'll move on. Otherwise, they're actually aerating your lawn.
by Annette on June 13, 2004 02:08 PM
Try planting a few bulbs of garlic throughout your flowerbeds and at the edges of your yard. Moles and gophers alike don't like the smell, and will soon leave the area. Not to mention that it also helps with other wild pests (such as deer) from getting into the beds and eating them up. My mother had a veggie garden that she planted garlic around to keep deer and gophers out of. HTH!
by largelady@aol.com on June 14, 2004 04:22 AM
There is a plant called Gophers Purge or Mole Plant, it has a latex type sap that they don't like. It has really funky flowers. I have one in my yard and don't have gophers, dirt is too hard and rocky either that or the plant works. But you might want to try some of that. Or if you want some wild garlic let me know I have lots of bulbs from my sister's garden. Here is a link to Gophers Purge.

http://www.mountainvalleygrowers.com/euplathyrus.htm
by moonstar on June 15, 2004 10:25 PM
Largelady, do you really think that the garlic will work? It is right down the middle of the yard.. Not around the edges or in the rose beds.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: HELP FLYING THINGS EVERY WHERE| Next thread: HELP! HELP!! HELP!!! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: