The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

deheading daffidols

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Definition of "pinching back"?| Next thread: Deiffenbacha »
Back to Thread index
by moondance on April 16, 2004 11:01 PM
Okay, my daffadoills and hythanicths(?) have all bloomed and are starting to look preety rgged. My question is,do you dehead these like you do to the summer flowers? (can't spell worth a d---- today) I also heard that bee balm will spread like wildfire-I just planted twenty of them!
by obywan59 on April 16, 2004 11:12 PM
I deadhead all of mine. It should put more energy towards the bulbs instead of seed production.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by moondance on April 18, 2004 12:13 AM
Okay, I understand the storing of energy. However-if you dehead them then how do they reproduce more plants for next year? [flower]
by Jiffymouse on April 18, 2004 12:26 AM
moondance, daffodils are bulbs and multiply by bulb growth. there are lots of plants that do that, including most lilies, glads, etc. i have some spider lily that i got from mom54 (another member) and when they were dug up, we saw several "baby" bulbs on the bigger ones!
by moondance on April 19, 2004 06:02 PM
Boy do I feel stupid!!!! I know that they multiply but I thought that it was from the little knobby thing at the end of the stem where the flower is. In time that would drop off and voila! new flowers. (laughing) thanks!!!!
by weezie13 on April 19, 2004 08:31 PM
Moondance,
We all learn at one time or another!!!
Don't feel stupid at all!!!
Someone is always glad to help out along the way here!!!!

And don't be surprised if you get something
some day, that does reproduce from the flowering end!!!

I have the walking or nodding onions (alliums)
and they DO produce bulbs at the ends like that!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by catlover on April 20, 2004 12:56 AM
Moondance.....No question is a stupid question if you don't know the answer!!! [kissies]

Keep the questions coming...that is how we all learn!!!! [thumb]

-
 -
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 20, 2004 02:09 AM
moondance, when you ask a question, those of us too shy to ask get to learn. and those of us who don't know, might try to look it up if no one else does!
by Marianne on April 20, 2004 05:06 PM
Yes Moondance the bee balm will spread. But you can control it, just by digging it up where you don't want it to be.
by rue anemone on April 21, 2004 07:48 PM
moondance there are seeds in those kobby things at the end. You could let those develop and plant the seeds but it can take many years for the plants to reach blooming size. Ususally the plants are not that amazing.

BUT:
New types of bulbs are developed by hybridizers that collect and save pollen, pollinate by hand, and then collect the seeds. That is a lot of work to get new varieties!

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Definition of "pinching back"?| Next thread: Deiffenbacha »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: