The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Day Lillies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Day lillies| Next thread: day lillies »
Back to Thread index
by Pelham Manor Cats on July 26, 2006 12:45 AM
My Day Lillies bloomed once and now have all green pods on them. It looks like some are turning brown and then falling off. I thought Day Lillies bloomed constantly. Am I suppose to remove the green pods?
by debnoel on July 26, 2006 03:18 AM
Hi PMC, There are reblooming types of day lilies, but many bloom only once. Some bloom early, some mid season, and some late. I try to mix mine so there are always blooms. I pick off the pods- more energy to the plant and none to seed production. They spread and grow well enough without me diddling with seeds! Some varieties are so beautiful that I wish they did bloom constantly. I enjoy each one as it blooms knowing that next year there will be more blooms. I find that they are hardy and multiply easily.
by Pelham Manor Cats on July 26, 2006 03:30 AM
When I planted them last year, they bloomed from early July to late September. That's why I am asking this question. How could they change from constant blooming one year and the 2nd to blooming only once? When I read up on the one I purchased, it said they would blooming constantly.
That is why I am confused!!!
by Jiffymouse on July 26, 2006 01:25 PM
each bloom will "go to seed" but "ever blooming" varieties will put out more bloom stalks. that is the difference. BUT, if you let them go to seed, they will spend more energy on the seeds than on the new blooms. "dead heading" will alleviate that.
by gailo on July 27, 2006 05:56 AM
Will those seeds grow? I have some on one of my daylilies and if they will grow I will plant them.

gailo
by Pelham Manor Cats on July 27, 2006 01:51 PM
Thank you. That is all I wanted to know, whether I should take off the pods. I have about 8 plants loaded with pods. This will take some time to remove all. But, if it makes them bloom again, it is worth it.
by Jiffymouse on July 27, 2006 02:32 PM
if the pods are let dry on the plant, yes, the seeds are probably viable. it is easier and faster, but not always more satisfying, to get more plants by division.

seed growing is great because it is easy to be surprized!
by patches1414 on July 27, 2006 06:18 PM
I always removed the seed pods because I got more blooms. [thumb] I guess I've never seen the need to save or plant any seeds of the seeds since they seem to multiply pretty fast and you can always divide them. [thinker] Actually, I've never been much of a seed person anyway. [Roll Eyes]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by daylily77 on July 31, 2006 09:42 AM
Can anyone post a picture of the part that you would remove and plant to get another plant? (The seed pods?) Thank you!
by Bestofour on July 31, 2006 01:42 PM
Mine haven't had as many blooms this year and I've just figured it's because of the extreme dryness. They are drought tolerant but it's been worse than usual.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by gailo on July 31, 2006 02:18 PM
I was just reading up on the seeds today. Evidently you break apart the dried pods and get the seeds out(mine were shiny black about the size of a BB). Then if you want to plant them in the fall to sprout in the spring you can do that and the moisture over winter will be absorbed by the seeds. If you want to plant the seeds in pots to sprout right away you first have to put them in a plastic bag like a zip lock bag with 2 tsp. of water. Then you try to get all of the air out when you zip it up. Then you put it in the refrigerator for 3 weeks or until you see it begin to sprout. After three wks you plant the remaining seeds that haven't sprouted. These daylilies are your own hybrids. Then next spring you plant them. I put my first ones in the fridge today. Do I sound optimistic? [Smile] You betcha!

gailo
by patches1414 on July 31, 2006 04:51 PM
Thanks Gailo! [thumb] This is some great information for those who want to try this. Actually, I might try it just for fun to see what happens. [dunno] Who knows, I might like it! [Wink]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by daylily77 on July 31, 2006 07:44 PM
Thanks so much for the info, Gailo! Do the pods have to be dried out in order to use the seeds from inside the pod? I have a pod of them, but the pod isnt dried because I couldnt find any dried ones. [tears]
by tkhooper on August 01, 2006 12:57 AM
the pods do need to be dry or the seeds will be immature and won't sprout.

WARNING: Growing from seed is addictive lol. I know because i'm hooked.

-
 -
by gailo on August 03, 2006 05:56 AM
I just found out you could buy daylilies on eBay. What a selection! My first plant arrived today in great condition with an awesome root! It is a purple one. Can't wait to see the flower next spring. [clappy] [Big Grin]

gailo

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Day lillies| Next thread: day lillies »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: