The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Luna Hibiscus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Lumpy Lawn| Next thread: Luna moths »
Back to Thread index
by plantqueen on July 25, 2006 04:08 AM
I was at the store this weekend and couldn't help myself. I purchased a Luna Hibiscus. It is absolutely beautiful. I have a couple of questions. The tag says that it is hardy to zone 5. I am in zone 4a. Can I plant it in the ground and will it make it next year or should I bring it in the house over the winter? If I should bring it in the house, should I keep it in a cool place or treat it as a houseplant until spring? If I can plant it in the ground, should I plant it among other perennials or by itself? This is a new plant for me and I am not sure what to do with it but I just couldn't resist buying it.

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by alankhart on July 25, 2006 04:49 AM
Although it is said to be hardy to zone 5, it may still survive outside with protection (mulch). If you don't want to chance it, bring it inside but let it go dormant. This type of perennial hibiscus regrows each year from it's root stock.

-
 -
 -
by plantqueen on July 25, 2006 07:42 AM
So, should I put it in my basement or garage or something? Do I need to give it water through the winter? Sorry..... I am just starting out!

-
 -

-

All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
by alankhart on July 25, 2006 08:48 AM
You'll want to put it in any place that is protected from freezing temps and water very infrequently. You can either cut it completely back or let it die back on it's own.

-
 -
 -
by plantqueen on July 26, 2006 02:22 AM
Thank you so much! I think I will bring it in so that I don't kill it!

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Lumpy Lawn| Next thread: Luna moths »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: