The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

morning glories

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: morning glories| Next thread: Morning Glories »
Back to Thread index
Pages: 1 2
by comfrey on August 12, 2006 02:47 PM
While searching for morning glory sites I did find a very interesting site about growing them etc Beginner's Guide to Morning Glories

-
 -
by CajunMama on August 12, 2006 03:25 PM
Thanx for the website comfrey!

I unknowingly bought Japanese MG seeds this year! I love the blooms, [Love] but am not too happy about the size. [tears] I have a plant in a container that is a Blue dawn flower, Ipomoea indica, but it is not as large and extensive as my others. It only grew to about 5 or 6 feet, and only puts out 1 or 2 blooms. I figured the container wasn't large enough to sustain roots big enough to produce the size I wanted. I wanted it to wrap up the center post of my porch, but that didn't happen. Oh well, maybe next year! [dunno]

-
CajunMama
"Sing praises to the Lord..." Psalm 9:11
by chilady on August 15, 2006 02:41 AM
Yes Comfrey thanks for the site. I have goodled the heck out of MG's and never came across this site. LOL

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/frawri/b7231077.jpg
by debbya on August 16, 2006 07:26 PM
holly...

the seeds i bought stated morning glory and moon glows. so, i am assuming that is what i got! [Roll Eyes]

planting by the moon phase never entered my mind, but now that u mention it, it sure sounds reasonable and productive. i have no idea when i planted in terms of moon phase, i might be able to go back and figure it out but not sure it would be exact. i certainly will take this into account next planting season.

still NO blooms at all... [Eek!]

i am in new york, where are you?

thanks for all your suggestions...

debby [flower]
by flowerguesser on August 18, 2006 03:21 PM
by debbya on August 18, 2006 05:01 PM
thanks carla! [wavey]

i was on that site for half an hour just browsing around and there are some lovely things there for next season that i will have to try...

debby [Smile]
by chilady on August 19, 2006 04:35 AM
Why is it that moon flowers smell, and morning glorys don't?

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/frawri/b7231077.jpg
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on August 19, 2006 10:25 AM
HELLO DEBBYA! [wavey]

I am in Oregon...zone 7-8....I planted my morning glories when the moon was in virgo...which is great for "vigorous vine growth" and Libra is a great time for "beautiful flowers" even though Libra is only semi-fruitful...Libra is ruled by Venus...planet of "beauty" so....those are the two that I use most often for flowering plants. Also...Remember that you don't want to plant in the "waning" moon phase...and for best results...you cannot beat planting in Cancer close to a full moon!!! I cannot tell you the difference I have seen in all my plants since I started gardening by the moon signs and phases!!! This is a time tested technique and it only makes sense..the moon controls the "tides" and the water in the earth...so....making sure you plant when water is most "abundant" seems to work beautifully!!! I have several books on the moon phases and refere to them often...also...you may want to look on the internet...I am sure there is a weather guide in your area that can help you map these moon times out. [flower] Take care!!! Happy Gardening!!!

CHEERS!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by comfrey on August 19, 2006 01:46 PM
Wow Hollyhockgirl...That is interesting! I know around here a lot of "old timers" plant by the moon signs. I think I'll research this and try to plant that way next year.

-
 -
by Triss on August 20, 2006 08:19 AM
There was another topic on just this in the spring. If you want to take a look, it is here.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by debbya on August 22, 2006 07:11 PM
OH MY GAWD!!!!! [Big Grin] [clappy] [Big Grin]

i was coming into my house today, lamenting the fact that my morning glories still had no blooms on the vine to my bf. low and behold he said, well looks like u might be wrong!!! and there on the vine was ONE lonely flower!!! [flower]
i just cant believe it, i am ecstatic, delirious, overjoyed beyond words!! [grin]

thank u all for your support, ideas and suggestions. hopefully this is the first of many!!!

YIPEEEE!!!! [flower] [clappy] [flower]

debby
by CajunMama on August 23, 2006 01:49 PM
debbya,

I'm sooooo glad that you finally got a bloom!
I hope that you get many, MANY more! [flower] [thumb] [flower]

-
CajunMama
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on August 24, 2006 03:11 PM
HELLO DEBBYA!!!

FANTASTIC!!!!!!! [clappy] [flower] [clappy] I am soooo sooo happy for you!!! [flower] Aren't they the most glorious little flowers in the world??? I know most people think they are common...but not me!!! I am soo happy for you...I am sure you are going to have loads more....don't pick off the dead-headed flower too soon...let it shrivel first...sometimes the plant goes into "seed production" mode if you pick the flower too soon....also...save those seeds in the pod!!! Next year you can plant tons more morning glories...and...you won't have to spend so much money. Congratulations again!!! This is the reward for all your patience and good garden caretaking!!! ENJOY!!! [flower] [clappy] [flower]

CHEERS!!!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by jbaby7162000 on August 25, 2006 02:04 PM
this morning i went outside and discovered my mg
was blooming,before i had trouble with it,it wouldnt grow just sit there,then i put some epson salt on the ground around it and stopped watering it and it had blooms on it.it was a deep purple,sorry i dont have a pic.it was so pretty.

joanne
by HOLLYHOCKGIRL on August 25, 2006 04:35 PM
JBABY!!! [flower] [clappy] [flower]

CONGRATS TO YOU AS WELL!!! I don't think there is much that Epsom salts won't help....except Sage...Don't EVER put Epsom salts on Sage...It hates it... [Razz] [Eek!] But...I have to say...it definitely cured my roses and helped them to fill out!!! [grin]
Congratulations on your Morning Glory success story!!! So glad you and Debbya finally got some results!!! HOOORAAAYYYYY!!!!

CHEERS!!!
HOLLYHOCKGIRL
by CajunMama on August 26, 2006 03:06 PM
Congrats jbaby!

I have a question about the Epsom salt.................HUHHHHHH????? [dunno]

I've never heard of that! What does it do? and when do I use it?

-
CajunMama
by TulsaRose on August 26, 2006 10:43 PM
Epsom Salt is basically magnesium and sulfur. Gardeners use it to promote growth in their plants, particulary Roses and some veggies. If your soil is deficient in magnesium, it could be a great booster. Some people add it to water, some add it to compost tea...others sprinkle it around the plants or in the planting hole. You really should read up on how to use it for your particular type of plants and growing area.

I can't speak from personal experience but I saw one of my neighbors put a full cup of the ES directly on the soil around the base of a Floribunda Rose that was about to croak and within a week or two, it had completely recovered and started setting buds. The foliage got a nice, deep green and the eventual Roses were huge and absolutely gorgeous. [Wink]

Check this thread and the link TK posted for more information Epsom Salt thread.

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by CajunMama on August 27, 2006 02:52 AM
Thanks! I'll check out the thread and read up on Epsom Salt, it sounds very interesting, and now I'm kinda hoping that I have some plants that could benefit from it just so I can try it! [Wink]

-
CajunMama
by Bestofour on August 27, 2006 03:44 AM
I have put epsom salt around roses, camellias, gardenias, and vegetable plants too. It works wonders for everything. I just sprinkle it around the base of the plant and either water it in or wait for the rain. Things certainly perk up.

I'm glad your MG bloomed. Where there's 1 bloom there's more. Oh boy!

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by njoynit on August 28, 2006 03:35 PM
I add it to my fertilizer mix with fish emolsion also.

http://www.wunderground.com/geo/miniWeather07/US/TX/Woodville.html

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: morning glories| Next thread: Morning Glories »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: