The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help me with my hill!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by hisgal2 on May 03, 2004 06:22 AM
This is the week that we are planning on pulling out the forsythia bushes. They are on a hill and I'm concerned about what's going to happen to the hill when they come out. We do not want to put a retaining wall in because (#1)it costs money and (#2)next year I will be putting in a pond and that is where I will put the waterfall and don't want to have to tear out anything that we put in this year. Does anyone have any ideas?? I was thinking maybe a terraced flower bed, but that requires retaining walls.

Stephen doesn't think that the hill will erode much and that it will be ok after the bushes are pulled out. We have no way of knowing how deep the roots are and how much ground will be pulled out with the bushes.

-
 -

-
by weezie13 on May 03, 2004 06:27 AM
Jennifer,
Got any pictures???

What else is on the hill beside's the forsynthia bushes??

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by afgreyparrot on May 03, 2004 03:25 PM
How steep? How much area are you talkin' about?
Wish you had a photo. I have a good hill thing in my head I've been wanting to do, and will try to get the time this summer. (Yeah, right!)

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by hisgal2 on May 03, 2004 05:13 PM
If I have a picture of it online, it will be on my website somewhere....under the house photos or somewhere else. I can't remember what I have on there anymore. I'm in Philly right now and can't change the pics until I get home later today.

The hill is about a 45 degree angle. There are 4 large bushes that are about 16 years old. In front of them (at the base of the hill) are planted bluebells, crocuses, and a few tulips. On the top of the hill behind the bushes on the flat part is my asparagus patch. We're talking a 12-15 foot wide and 4-5 foot high area that the bushes are in. I have steps going to the higher part of the yard on the right side of the bushes and to the left, the hill kind of ends and goes down to the flatter side of the yard where I have my veggie garden. So the entire hill is not all the same slope. The slope gets more "severe" the further right that you look at it.

I'm just really afraid that those bushes are the only thing holding that hill up! Do you think that kind of slope will wash away after the bushes are pulled out???...especially with the kind of spring rains that we get?

-
 -

-
by moondance on May 12, 2004 05:14 PM
My house is on top of a very steep hill. I would worry everytime my husband would mow it even though we have a push mower. So last year we tilled up the front yard and planted wild flowers. I went on the internet and found the selection of wild flower that are for my area (East Maryland). This is the second year of them-it takes awhile for them to get established but we had flowers the first year we p [flower] lanted them. Such a glourious mixture of them! We didn't have to fertilize them or do anything-just water.
by hisgal2 on May 12, 2004 08:30 PM
We have alot of wild flowers too. The previous owners of the house had ALOT of perennials. So I haven't planted much around. I had thought about doing that to the hill also and I do have a packet or two of mixed seeds. The bushes haven't been pulled out because I haven't figured out what I wanna do with that hill yet. Its not a huge hill, just big enough for me to worry about erosion. [Smile] Thanks for the idea! [thumb]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum