The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Watermelons

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: watermelons| Next thread: Watermelons »
Back to Thread index
by Kurlie77 on May 11, 2005 08:51 PM
Watermelons are something I have never grown before, and this year I have two little ones growing indoors that I started from seed about 2 weeks ago. When should I put them in the ground... and how? What kind of beds should they have and what soil? I dont know how to care for them so please help!
by Longy on May 12, 2005 10:03 AM
Watermelon, like other cucurbits, like a well drained soil rich in organic matter. Plenty of manures, compost, blood and bone etc. The richer the soil the better. They like a fair bit of water while they're growing but can take care of themselves once established so long as they get a deep watering weekly or so. Mulching helps and keeps the fruit clean as well.
Plant out once the soil has warmed to over 12-15 deg c and the seedlings have their first set of true leaves. Water before and after transplanting with a weak seaweed fert to reduce transplanting shock. Pick the fruit when the little 'pigs tail' opposite where the stalk joins the vine dries out.
by Kurlie77 on May 14, 2005 11:19 PM
Thank you Longy!!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: watermelons| Next thread: Watermelons »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: