The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

thinkin bout buyin a book... what do u think?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Wizzard on December 24, 2005 02:53 AM
well, i am actualy thinking about buying 2 of 4 books, just cant decide which ones, so i thought i would see what you guys all thought was the best.
the list of books are as follows:

bountiful container
four season harvest
from seed to seed
square foot gardening

are these all good books? are some better than others? i understand that not all of them fit my container gardening, but if they are good for what they say they are for, thats all i need to know.
is there a better book similar to one i have listed?

Wizzards pics
by dodge on December 24, 2005 06:35 AM
WHY ARE YOU BUY BOOKS?
YOU CAN LOOKUP ANYTHING UNDER THE SUN ABOUT GARDENING ONLINE.......AND PRINT IT .. I DO.
[nutz]
YOU CANT BEAT THE PRICE>.
GOOD LUCK.
DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Wizzard on December 24, 2005 06:37 AM
[Big Grin] i like books [Big Grin]

Wizzards pics
by dodge on December 24, 2005 10:44 AM
WELL GOOD FOR YOU........
GIVES YOU SOMETHING TO LOOK UP TOO!
[tongue]

DODGE

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Triss on December 24, 2005 10:57 AM
I'd go for the middle two Wizard.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by beebiz on December 26, 2005 05:15 PM
Hey Wizzard,

I don't have the foggiest idea as to which book is the best. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a good book, and I want everyone to understand that. But, I only own a couple of gardening books. And, I mainly use them for disease and other plant problem identification.

Most of the knowledge that I have (at least 95%) of it came from my grandfathers, my parents, friends, neighbors, garden forums and other web sources, and from plenty of trial and error. I have found that gardening is a lot like riding a bicycle. If you are in the majority and of at least average intelligence, egardless how much reading about, thinking about, or instruction you get, you are still going to goof and skin your knees!! Dependant on what you do abou it, those times when when you skin your knees can be very discouraging or they can be very benificial in the learning curve. Books, advice, and instruction are great, but NOTHING beats getting your hands dirty!!

Just my $.00002 worth!

Robert

My New Web Site If you take a look, please sign my guest book so I'll know you've been there! Also, check out the new African Violet addition to my site! Thanks
by glenskinz on December 27, 2005 02:45 AM
I have square foot gardening and its a good one. I gave it to my friend who is less than most when it comes to gardening After the book he had a garden this year and actually harvested and used his own produce.
by Wizzard on December 27, 2005 07:39 AM
cool, thanx fer the tips, i might just wait till next week and buy all 4. thanx again

Wizzards pics
by weezie13 on January 02, 2006 04:39 AM
Wizzard,
You have 3 of my most favoritest books....
I Love Square Foot Gardening.. lot's of good tips..for gardening.. like crop rotation and
keeping down the size of your garden, especially
if you like alot of veggies but don't have alot
of space..

And Four Season Harvest, by Eliot Coleman...
He is one of my all time fav gardeners...
*If anything ever happened to the world, and things went bad... that is THE MAN I'd like to live next door to.... I'd be fed unbelievable amounts of food, even in the winter...

Dodge asked...
quote:
WHY ARE YOU BUY BOOKS?

my reply is... somenights, I like to curl up in bed and read...it's awefully hard to
take that darn ole puter to bed with you...little
hard and heavy and gotta have a long extension cord...heheheheehe

I LOVE the RODALE series of books too..
They have Companion Planting, Pruning, Organic Gardening..all hard cover..
They also put out one by the name of "Herbal Remedies".

Of course if you're the handy sort, one I love is
"THE BACKYARD BUILDER" it's kinda not on the brand new list, actually put out in 1985.. but
it's got some neat things to build like compost sifters, porch swings, stacking Strawberry Boxes, Trellis's, Suet Holders, allllllll sorts of good
ideas. I wish I was able to build all of those things...

And you can't forget "Jerry Baker" either...
"The Great Green book of Garden Secrets" handy hints and tonics..

I LOVE BOOKS... I wish I could afford soooo many of them...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by VAgardengirl on January 06, 2006 01:02 AM
I have Square Foot Gardening, too...wonderful book.

I will plant my heart in my garden of dreams.
by comfrey on January 06, 2006 09:04 AM
quote: WHY ARE YOU BUY BOOKS?

I personally like to be able to sit in the living room in my comfortable chair where DH and the critters are and read. I research alot on the Internet and print out alot of stuff, but like was also mention nothing beats getting your hands dirty!! and learning from your own experiences.

I am also going to purchase a couple of books, I have mine narrowed down to about 4 books, and I may decide to get all 4 that I want.

-
 -
by Wizzard on January 09, 2006 10:36 AM
my wife thinks i have a book problem [dunno] i dont know what shes talking about... theres always another book i want. i have a list of about 20 i want with income tax return [teacher]

Wizzards pics
by weezie13 on January 09, 2006 11:41 AM
I have to agree with you..
I love books, and can't ever get enough of them..

I wish I had a ga~zillion dollars to buy all of the books I've seen...

And you know what's funny about it, is, some can have the same information in them, but it may give you one or two things you never knew about or a hint or two of things to try, you've never read before, and that book is worth it's weight in gold for those tid~bit's of information....

And there's always new pictures and new projects and always something changing..
I have that older book *well, 1985* and it's got some good things to build that I could still use today.. and they aren't outdated, with always changing info...

The only problem I have with them, is no where's to put them [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]
If I ever won the lottery, I'd build me a reading room, with one of those libraries with the rolling ladders.. so neat...

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Wizzard on January 09, 2006 01:36 PM
edit: testing signature, started a topic instead....

Wizzards pics

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: