The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help this hedge?!?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Help Save My Coffee Tree!| Next thread: Help Tomato Transplant »
Back to Thread index
by plants 'n pots on April 20, 2004 04:58 PM
I'm posting a picture of part of my 21 tree arbovitae hedge that I planted between our property and a neighbor after he enlarged his driveway 5 years ago, because "after all... his son was going to be driving in 5 years!" It was like looking at a parking lot, and they only have about 3 feet of grass after the driveway, so I put this hedge in - not knowing that arbovitae is choice food for deer. Don't you think the nursery should have said something when we told them we have deer?!? [Mad]

Anyway, now we have topiaries - each year getting worse and worse as the trees grow taller and get thinner at the bottoms.

The question is: can you suggest anything for me to plant in front of and between the arbovitae to help block the driveway? Something evergreen and full that WILL NOT be eaten by deer?

not the best picture of hedge

Thanks... Lynne

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by Chrissy on April 21, 2004 01:51 AM
Try this link Lynne:) Deer Proof Plants It may be helpful. About the photo...they do look like topiaries...wow, they have really munched down, not good at all [Frown]
There are also deer repellents on the market that I am aware of, although I have never used them.

-
 -
z5b
by plants 'n pots on April 21, 2004 02:55 PM
Thanks for the great links, Chrissy!

Unfortunately, we have used most of the sprays, hair, moth balls, soaps, etc - they only last a few days until it rains, or they get used to the odor.

What I am looking for is a bushy evergreen that I can plant in front of the spaces in between the plants. I looked over the list and don't know if any of the bushes listed would be full/tall enough to fill in the voids?

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 21, 2004 07:12 PM
Lynne,
Ever looked into those big tall clumps of
grasses???
Like in between????

There's some that's bright green and white stripes, get's about 6 or 7 ft....

Or pull those out and put up the NON~INVASIVE bamboo plants??????

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by hisgal2 on April 21, 2004 07:46 PM
I just got a few ostrich plume ferns for my damp shady area. Do the tress shade that area or is the sun on your side of the trees? (i didn't think to look when I looked at the picture). Anyways, these ferns are supposed to be in shade, but they grow 3-4 feet tall!

The decorative grasses are a good idea. Alot of people around here have short hedges that are everygreen. I wish I knew what they are called. My parents have one in front of the porch. Its nice, but you have to trim and shape them in the spring after the new growth is done or else they look REALLY bad. (the trimming isn't soo bad...you just use hedge clipper thingies)

-
 -

-
by afgreyparrot on April 24, 2004 06:17 PM
Wondering if you could be talking about boxwood hedges? I was just watching "Landscape Solutions" on HGTV, and they were planting some nice hedges that caught my eye. I thought, "Man, that would be good for the "Help this hedge" post if it was something that deer wouldn't eat. So, I looked it up on the internet and, turns out, it's a deer repellent shrub!!!
boxwood info

You can trim it however you want. You might want to check it out.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by plants 'n pots on April 27, 2004 03:04 PM
Thanks again for the suggestions! [thumb]

I'm going to have to stop in at a few nurseries and see what kinds of boxwoods they have. The only ones I've seen around so far are very small bushes at HD. But it sounds like it could work!

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 29, 2004 03:20 AM
lynne, got this in my wayside gardens newsletter today, and immediately thought about you and your plants.
quote:
We've had quite the problem with deer eating our bushes and flowers. I've tried every natural deterrent that I've heard about and every stinky spray on the market, and none worked for long. And, we didn't care for the look of an electric fence surrounding our property.
Now, I think we've finally found the answer -- 50 lb. fishing line! We strung it around our flowers, beds and gardens, and it is working great! It doesn't look bad, and best of all, it doesn't cost a lot. We used two strands of line, one about 18" off the ground and the other about 36". We used it also to cut off the normal walk-ways the deer have been using to cross our property. Bushes that were eaten down to sticks are now leafing out again.
Just be sure that when you string it around that you do not entirely circle a tree with the fishing line as that would probably harm the tree. We have our lines going around birdfeeder poles, fence posts, and things like the birdbaths and light poles. Good Luck! - C. B. of McCormick, SC

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Help Save My Coffee Tree!| Next thread: Help Tomato Transplant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: