The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Shade plants, sandy soil, zone 6a.... help needed! :)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: shade perrenniels for dummys| Next thread: Shade resistant ideas »
Back to Thread index
by canadiangardener on March 19, 2004 06:35 AM
Hello
If anyone would be able to help me I would greatly appreciate it! I seem to have a few strikes against me for my garden!!
First of all, it is in full shade until about 4 in the afternoon. I assume this classifies as a full shade, not partial shaded area?
As well, this particular area has fairly sandy soil.
Being up in Canada I also have the cold winters to deal with too.
I'd like ANY suggestions on perennials (bulbs/shrubs/flowers) hardy to zone 6a, that fare well in fairly sandy soil. (I'm not a large fan of hostas as well....hoping for something with a little bit of colour? too much to ask? lol)

Also, I purchased some Aziatic lillies which said "prefer partial to full shade" on the packaging, but nothing I've found seems to support this! Does anyone know if there's a strain that does well in shade? Maybe a misprint?!

I have not tried growing anything yet, as I'm new to this house, but if any suggestions work, I'll be sure to update everyone!
by weezie13 on March 19, 2004 04:43 PM
Canadiangardener, [wayey]
Hello and Welcome,
We are Happy you found us and hope you enjoy the site....Bill's got alot of info here and there's a whole lot of reading there for you!
If you're looking for any specific information,
Do a GARDEN SEARCH for the info in the main part of the Garden Helper, if you're looking for some questions or a plant, do a FORUM SEARCH and type in the word or words you're looking for????

Just so you know I'm going to move your post/questions into an area a little more visited by our gardeners that are more than likely to be able to help you.....

We hope you enjoy your stay here, and come back and visit alot!!! We've got Banter Hall for chatting and getting to know everyone, there's recipes, crafts and hobbies..... all sorts of good things we've added to keep everyone busy!!

Weezie

And you'll feel right at home, we have alot of Canadian gardeners here, and they're reallllllly nice people too!! You'll feel right at home.

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Jiffymouse on March 19, 2004 06:02 PM
[wayey] hi canadiangardener [wayey] you are in very good company and we are glad to have you. sorry i don't have any answers for you, but i am in southeast georgia, but i know there are folks here who can!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: shade perrenniels for dummys| Next thread: Shade resistant ideas »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: