The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

dead heading wave petunias

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Dead heading Dianthus| Next thread: Dead Hibiscus? »
Back to Thread index
by flowercorgi on July 19, 2006 08:40 AM
Hello everyone,
I am brand new here and I am a novice in the flower landdscaping department. But I want to learn and right now I am very dangerous to my plants (o:
I have 3 pots of wave petunias that are actually doing very well - when I pluck them do I just pluck the wilty ones or the ones that look like they are closed?
Thank you for any help.
by Karrie on July 19, 2006 09:20 AM
That is what I do and my petunias always do well. I had some I had to leave for a few days with out care or water, they looked wilted and dead, I cut them completely back to the soil level, they have come back full and beautiful. Wave petunias are great for beginners. They are effortless but so beautiful they make you feel great at what your doing.

OHH my Gosh I just saw your from Rockville, Putnam county girl here! I love Rockville, we didnt live too far from there. So peaceful and quite. Cept come festival time.

Welcome to our forum, glad you found us!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by chenno on July 19, 2006 09:22 AM
I pluck the wilted ones, and if others look bad pluck-em...Just makes more blooms..I like wave petunias too..good luck, look forward to seeing you around:-)

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by flowercorgi on July 20, 2006 12:53 AM
Thanks for all the input.....Just to keep me straight....I do pluck the wilted ones every night, but some of them look like they are either brand new just not opened or they have already opened and and closed up and are done?
I hope this makes sense.
Thank you in advance for your patience with me.
by Karrie on July 20, 2006 02:56 AM
If your not used to them, you can sometimes guess new up and comeing blooms for closed ones. I would just suggest you pick the ones you know for sure are wilted, and the next day if its still not opened you will know its ready to pluck. Petunias are great and actually tough. I am sure you will do fine!

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by flowercorgi on July 20, 2006 04:31 AM
Thank you! You guys are the very best.
Any other suggestions - please swing my way.

Hey Karrie - keep on emailing me so that we can chit chat.
by gardenfairy on July 20, 2006 05:54 AM
I pluck the wilted ones, if you do it every other day or so, the wilted ones will start to dry up and they are easier to pick out. If you don't pluck them off, your petunia's will form seed pods and will reseed themselves and come back next year!!

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by Karrie on July 20, 2006 09:59 AM
Will do Flowercorgi! I can't reply to that one sent until you reply. Then vise versa, but keep in touch its soo nice to talk to someone from home!

-
 -

Karrie's Photos
by tkhooper on July 20, 2006 10:04 AM
Yes I've been harvesting mine for several weeks now. But after reading this post I think I'll cut one back just to see what it does.

-
 -
by chenno on July 20, 2006 10:44 AM
Flowercorgi..I am not to far from you , I noticed, cool, about 5 or 6 hours..

-
 -
Painting is silent poetry, and poetry is painting that speaks.
Plutarch
by flowercorgi on July 22, 2006 01:30 AM
Chenno, Wow that is really cool...I never would have guessed at how many people are into the flower landscaping thing. I love it, but feel so inadequate.

Everyone needs to say a quick prayer for my flowers - Poor things - having to live with my floundering. (o:

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Dead heading Dianthus| Next thread: Dead Hibiscus? »
Back to Thread index