The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

keeping birds off of my tomatoes

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by laurapeace on May 01, 2005 02:00 AM
I need help. I have started my first ever tomatoe plants. They are in big containers on my patio, are looking really great, with lots of flowers on them but the cardinals are just sitting around, seemingly waiting for new fruit so that they can eat it up! I sound paranoid, mabe I am, but I have been told that the cardinals will eat the tomaotoes soon as they appear. How can I keep the birds from eating my new fruit? We have lots of birds, a big variety, but I've been told the cardinals are the worst about eating tomatoes. Help, please. and thanks
by tkhooper on May 01, 2005 05:13 AM
Get some bird netting like they use on fruit trees and make a tent with it for your tomatoes. That's all that I can think of at the moment.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 01, 2005 05:39 AM
That is exactly what we have had to do to our strawberries & tomatoes! It is very inexpensive at Wal-Mart and very easy to use. This is the first year I have used the bird netting but already am a FIRM believer in it. It has totally freaked our birds out that were eating our berries!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by Belleoftheball on May 02, 2005 06:11 PM
Hey ya'll. Here's a laugh. Let's all go ahead and snicker because I'm going to try this.

I read in an old gardening magazine that you can hang red Christmas tree balls on your tomatoe plants if you have birds laying in wait on the fruit. They will peck the Christmas balls and learn that they aren't edible. Then when the tomatoes grow, the birds won't try to eat them because they've 'learned' the tomatoes aren't real.

Now, do birds peck at green tomatoes? I'm thinking they might. We also have some green balls so I'm hanging those too.

I don't know if I'm really doing this because I believe it will work, or if it's just for the entertainment value. I can't wait to show the neighbors my Christmas tomatoes.

By the way, these are those old styrofoam child proof type that are covered in that polyester satiny type string stuff. We've had these since I was a kid putting up Christmas trees.

Belle

P.S. If the neighbors think I'm crazy for doing this I'm just going to tell them Momma did it.

-
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
by Dixie Angel on May 02, 2005 06:17 PM
Love that idea, Belle! Be sure to tell us how it works out.

Dianna

-
 -
by tkhooper on May 02, 2005 09:41 PM
I can just imagine the look on Muffins face if I gave her a christmas ball instead of a looked for treat. Oh dear. Good luck with your plan. Please, please send pictures when you get it decorated.

-
 -
by 4Ruddy on May 03, 2005 07:10 AM
It sounds pretty crazy..but ya know..it might work! I don't have a problem with them pecking at the green mators...just the red ones...I was going to use the bird netting on them this year...it is working for the strawberries!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: