The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hibiscus and the winter

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Hibiscus - Rose of Sharon| Next thread: Hibiscus black spots »
Back to Thread index
by gardenfairy on July 18, 2006 03:41 PM
I live in Zone 8, should I dig up my hibiscus and bring them in the house or will they survive the winter. I know they are a tropical plant, I'm just not sure how hardy they are in the winter.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

God gave us memories so we can have roses in the winter.
by tkhooper on July 19, 2006 12:23 AM
I got a little confused. Do you know you have the tropical variety? There are two types one is hardy and can easily be left outside and the other is tropical and should be taken in. I think it requires zone 9 to survive outside. But if you have yours planted near your house sometimes you can add a zone to your location.

-
 -
by gardenfairy on July 19, 2006 04:12 AM
I really don't know what type it is to be honest, I got it at Walmart!! It's not tall like most hibiscus, it's short and fat like a bush.

Monica

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away."
 -

by Karrie on July 19, 2006 09:39 AM
I would guess tropical, I bet is bright and bold in color too. I have a few a friend got me for babysitting for her. I dont want them to die, I plan on bringing them in the garage, but I don't know what to do after that.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by TulsaRose on July 19, 2006 10:33 AM
I bring in my Tropical Hibiscus when the overnight temps are going to be below 50f. I keep it in an unheated garage, pruned back by at least half and water about once every two or three weeks. As soon as the spring temps start staying above 50f at night, she goes back outside.

You can prune it back in late winter\early spring but it will take it longer to bush out than if you prune it in the fall. Another benefit of pruning in the fall...you can take some of the cuttings and root them for more plants. [Wink]

HTH...

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gardenfairy on July 19, 2006 12:58 PM
what is the best way to prune them?

Monica

-

by Karrie on July 19, 2006 02:05 PM
And more info on the whole rooting thing please, and Thank you for the info.

-
 -

It doesn't matter where you go in life... It's who you have beside you when you get there.

Karrie's Photos
by TulsaRose on July 19, 2006 11:03 PM
I usually cut the bush down to about 12" - 18" tall. Then I pick out eight or ten cuttings and shorten them to about 6" - 8", cut the bottom about 1\4" below a leaf node, strip foliage from the bottom two or three nodes, dip in rooting hormone, pot all of them up in a large pot of good potting soil. They will need warm temps, as much light as possible and regular watering. After they develop new leaves, I mist them a couple of times a week then pot up in individual pots in the spring to set out.

Go here for Propagation Tips.

I hope the above isn't too confusing but I've only had one cup of coffee and I am still half asleep. [grin]

Rosie z7a
 -
 -
by gardenfairy on July 20, 2006 05:57 AM
Thanks, I will have to try rooting some off my plant.

Monica

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Hibiscus - Rose of Sharon| Next thread: Hibiscus black spots »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: