The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Cicada Watch 2004

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: cicada's| Next thread: Cicadas »
Back to Thread index
by Bess of the Piedmont on April 12, 2004 09:40 PM
Hi folks! I just found a website about 17-year locusts (cicadas) that are expected around here this year. It was very informative!

http://www.msj.edu/cicada/

-
 -
by catlover on April 12, 2004 10:35 PM
quote:
What do they taste like?
Periodical cicadas are best eaten when they are still white (teneral), and they taste like cold canned asparagus. Like all insects, cicadas have a good balance of vitamins, are low in fat, and the females are especially high in protein. They are also Atkins friendly!

Ohhhhh Yucky, yucky!!!! [Razz]

-
 -
 -
by hisgal2 on April 13, 2004 01:19 AM
Ewwwww. [Razz] No thanks, I'll pass on that.

I am not looking forward to the buggers coming. We live in a wooded area and the last time they were here is was like torture. My poor hubby doesn't even know what the things are. Boy is he in for a surprise. [Wink]

-
 -

-
by Bestofour on April 13, 2004 02:18 AM
That web site makes it sound like this is a good thing. Talk about a positive attitude.

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -
by Bess of the Piedmont on April 13, 2004 07:42 PM
Jennifer-

Sherl is right. The site is strangely comforting. Plus, it gives you tips on what to expect when and how to protect young trees. I didn't have a garden last time they came out, so I didn't know if they ate the flowers, or what. Now I know that they are mostly harmless, except to young trees, where they tend to hurt the bark when they're feeding. Some mature trees may look a bit raggy around the edges after they leave (about mid-June I think it said), but ought to recover.

Knowledge is power!

[teacher]

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on April 13, 2004 08:27 PM
[scaredy] Whoa! Did you see where I am on that map?

This should make my grandson a VERY happy four year old!!!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: cicada's| Next thread: Cicadas »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: