The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rain barrells

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Raid| Next thread: Rain Damage »
Back to Thread index
by njoynit on March 24, 2004 06:30 AM
does anyone use rain barrells for watering?

I have 2 acres& 4 water hydrants.I REALLY don't think hubby will add me one to water plants.....even though I pay this bill myself.I'd like to add some plants at other end but water source is not close by& would need 300 ft plus of hose for watering.I was wondering if could use rain barrels to do my watering from.I'm eventully adding azealas& rhoddys to an area of trees when ever finish clearing it out more.are 2 fig trees in this area also.is another spot further away that is along fenceline & need to plant shrubs to block neighbors& too keep my dogs from barking at their dogs.they have a pit bull and my bassett hound likes to get in his face then spotty bites his ears& they each have a piece bit from them and one has a new hole not all the way through,but I need to be able to water plants without lugging 5 gallon buckets on dolly or wheel barrel(I'd rather not win ms fitness of the year award)
also...if used one of them 55 drums thats blue do I need to cover top somehow for evaporation?this is TX ya know

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by papito on March 24, 2004 04:40 PM
NjoyNit,

Fifty five gallon food grade barrels with cover will be just fine for storing rainwater or tap water. I use ten 32-gallon garbage cans for this purpose; and ten 2-1/2 gal pails (one for each barrel) for watering.

Problems you will most likely encounter:

Hot water temperature.

During the hottest summer months, the water temperature will be too hot for the plants. What I do is to water the plants early in the morning when the water is cooler; My plants are mostly in containers, the soil dries much faster and sometimes I have to water twice a day. After watering in the morning, I leave the cans haf-full with water and fill them with cool tap water just before the afternoon watering.

Algae

Algae will form inside the barrels or cans and you may need to clean them every three months or so.

Alternative to barrels or cans.

Use temporary garden faucet mounted on a board. The faucet is connected to a 100-ft garden hose (or any desired length)to a hose bib or from any supply of tap water.

See Ornamental Faucets selection. See the frog faucet there?

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by loz on March 24, 2004 07:27 PM
You know, I was just looking at a small rain barrel for my spare lot.......there isn't a water hookup over there and I may start some plants there this spring.......

They seem like a great way to conserve water usage too.

Papito, my dad is like you, he uses all kinds of water catching containers because they have so much to water......He always did that when we lived in England too.....lots of rain over there.....lol
by weezie13 on March 24, 2004 08:29 PM
Njoynit,
I collect my rain water in just about anything
that holds water.. I love that water, and we're always in the middle of a watering ban here,
*we can water vegetables though but nothing else.*
So, I keep the cans for my perennials!!
Then I dont' feel doubly guilty,
For you using *or sneaking* town water for watering my flowers*
And I feel I can do my part by not using so much water....

I have had many conversations with Bunny about rain barrels, he wanted some for his birthday or Christmas present, I wonder if he got them??

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by shamarian on March 30, 2004 03:48 AM
I am so excited, I went over to Menards today and bought everything to make my first rainbarrel. We are finished making it and it turned out perfect [thumb] and I probably only have about 10$ invested in it [thumb] [thumb] .When reading about rainbarrels I've heard its good to throw a couple of goldfish in there to eat the mosquito eggs and help keep it clean, I am wondering if they will help with the algae? and I was thinking about putting a few of those slug lookin things that we used to keep in our aquarium to keep it clean, they just stick to the sides and eat the algae. Anyone have any ideas on it? [dunno]

I am old, and repotting wont help!
by Jiffymouse on March 30, 2004 06:47 PM
shamrian, just what did you buy and how did you do it?
by shamarian on March 30, 2004 11:24 PM
Jiffymouse
Well this was the first of three rain barrels that I intend to make. This first one is going to take care of the north end corner of the yard which is our deck, potted plants and rock garden[all flowers]. I bought a green plastic 32 gallon garbage barrel for $7.00, A $2.38 faucet valvue[plastic one], two rubber washers and a plastic nut for the inside of the barrel. I just eyed it up and decided how high I wanted the spicket,traced the size of the part that attaches to the barrel. Then I just put the washer over the hole, stuck the valve on, and then from the inside, put the other washer on the short inside threads and screwed on the nut tight and we are ready to go. I will cut a peice from the lid and somehow glue some fiberglass sreening from the inside over that peice to strain the water as it comes out of the rain pipe. This should also keep out mosquitos and other bugs because the lid fits nice and snug, but I still hope to add the gold fish and aquarium cleaners. The barrel is made by rubbermaid and is not FDA approved which is why I'm using that barrel for the flowers. I am looking into finding some food grade barrels for the other ones to water what we eat, and will set it up the exact same way. We have a plastics factory in town and so I am hoping to get some discarded barrels. I wonder, am I making too big a thing about the container being food grade??? I really like the looks of how this first barrel turned out, its a dark Hunter green and works with my house[ not an eyesore yet functional] But it sounds like others collect their water with anything, do you think contaminants leech out into the water much???Oh and one last note, my brother reminded me that I had better place a small peice of screen over my valve inside the barrel before screwing on the nut so I wont have my goldfish getting stuck in the value or plugging up my hose [Big Grin] .But I am going to have it maybe a foot off the grond and a hose attached so I can just water with the hose instead of filling water cans. It was an easy project and I am so proud of myself, none of the guys in Menards could understand what I was looking for, had to do it allllll myself, but of course, I am a plumbers daughter, maybe that gives me the advantage [Big Grin]

I am old, and repotting wont help!
by Phil and Laura on March 30, 2004 11:31 PM
Sounds like a great Idea, good goin' Neighbor [thumb]
by Jiffymouse on March 31, 2004 12:18 AM
that is exactly what i was thinking you did, now that i know, i can do something similar. [thumb] great idea!
by Watercache on May 25, 2004 12:02 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by njoynit:
does anyone use rain barrells for watering?

I have 2 acres& 4 water hydrants.I REALLY don't think hubby will add me one to water plants.....even though I pay this bill myself.I'd like to add some plants at other end but water source is not close by& would need 300 ft plus of hose for watering.I was wondering if could use rain barrels to do my watering from.I'm eventully adding azealas& rhoddys to an area of trees when ever finish clearing it out more.are 2 fig trees in this area also.is another spot further away that is along fenceline & need to plant shrubs to block neighbors& too keep my dogs from barking at their dogs.they have a pit bull and my bassett hound likes to get in his face then spotty bites his ears& they each have a piece bit from them and one has a new hole not all the way through,but I need to be able to water plants without lugging 5 gallon buckets on dolly or wheel barrel(I'd rather not win ms fitness of the year award)
also...if used one of them 55 drums thats blue do I need to cover top somehow for evaporation?this is TX ya know
[/QUOT

Please feel free to check out www.watercache.com
It is the website for my company Innovative Water Solutions. We sell rain barrels (food grade plastic and whiskey barrels). We also install rain harvesting systems that can be used for irrigating ones lawn and garden or even using it for all household uses.
by Eugene Carroll on June 12, 2004 02:48 AM
They work great but keep them covered to prevent mosquitos from hatching in there.

If you have the resources, you could consider an underground cistern that fills from the roof(s).
by limey on June 19, 2004 05:24 AM
I have half a dozen rain water barrels around my place and to stop mosquitos from breeding in them I put a couple of bluegill (fish)in each one
Limey
by njoynit on June 23, 2004 09:13 PM
limey....I just HAVE to ask.....hows that rain barrel in your winters?how about ole blue there?ya eat him then?.LOL

Well the area where am planning to plant is shaded mostly so heat is not a real problem.....well it still gets hot in the shade when is triple digits,but think would be fine there and could place the others in shaded area at other end.

need to hear more on screens

1 cup of white distilled vinegar will control algea in a 100 gallon pond once a month.won't harm fish or plants.

those that have rain barrels in use......do you ever wash them yearly or anything?

I like the sound of faucet attached barrel,but think would go soaker hose

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Bestofour on June 26, 2004 06:12 AM
For the people who put fish in their rain barrels, how do you know you don't get them out when watering? What do they eat?

-
 -
 - http://www.picturetrail.com/bestofour  -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Raid| Next thread: Rain Damage »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: