The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

perennial hybiscus

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Perennial help| Next thread: Perennial plants in containers? »
Back to Thread index
by sam314 on April 11, 2005 03:34 AM
Hi all,
I got a perennial hybiscus early last summer. It bloomed wonderfully for me and it was all very exciting. I really like hybiscus. Anywho...I was writing because I was not sure if it would come up again this year. Rumor had it that it might/might not, considering I'm in zone 3. So, being the "patient" person I am, I went and dug it up just to see if the roots were all well and good. They seemed to be. So I washed them out and upon further investigation, I believe I found a bud!!! So I quickly put it back in the ground and gave it a good watering. Afterwards, I found the tag and read it and it said that you're supposed to be patient in the spring, as it takes a while to break dormancy [lala] Oh well. If anyone has experience with these in the harsher zones, I would appreciate some input and your stories and experiences!
Sam

God Bless,
Sam
Prov. 3:5-6
by auntnene on April 11, 2005 05:03 AM
Hi Sam,
I walk around the yard everyday , every Spring and always wonder when my hybiscus will sprout? It always does, but I always think it won't [nutz] I think it likes to torcher me [Big Grin]

Please God, make me as good as my cat thinks I am!
by weezie13 on April 11, 2005 05:27 AM
Sam,

I remember when I first started gardening,
and had bought one of the hibiscus shrub/bushes and I kept waiting for it to do something, and waiting and waiting... It just looked like a dead stick~sticking out of the ground [Frown] , deader than a door nail... but then I'd finally decided to take my snippers to it to see if it was still alive *and green* and [shocked] IT WASSSSSSS, [grin] but then I thought I'd hurt it by clippin' it [Eek!] and that thing didn't bud out until the longest time...

I have another variety, that dies back to the ground and it takes forrrrrrrrrrrrrevvverrrrrrrrr
to finally come out of the ground, but also is still blooming late into the fall....It's got the big, dinner plate sized flowers, that you can see from 2 yards away...

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by mike57 on April 11, 2005 08:28 AM
HI [wayey] SAM i have a few hibiscus and some of mine are like yours i looked to day and some of mine have just now broken the from ground i live in zone 7 i also have some hardy hibiscus and they havent yet i have found that if you mulch them down with leaves real well they will come back most of the time it depends on how deep your soil freezes wether they will come back each year.if you found a small bud or off shoot on yours theres a good chance it will come back 4 you.good luck with your hibiscus plant.your friend in gardeing.mike57 [thumb] [wayey] [flower] [flower]

-
No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Perennial help| Next thread: Perennial plants in containers? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: