The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rhubarb

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: rhubarb ????| Next thread: rhubarb »
Back to Thread index
by rldavis on April 22, 2005 09:05 PM
I need to know if I can plant Rhubarb in a container? Does anyone know?

by tkhooper on April 22, 2005 09:34 PM
With the plant spacing recommended as 24 inches apart that would have to be a very large pot. Are you in Washington State? I know my parents friends used to have it and it spread all over.

-
 -
by loz on April 23, 2005 02:56 AM
Hi there, and welcome to the forum....I'm moving this post over to the fruit and vegetables topic so you get some more help.....

Laura [wayey]

Oh, and you can see on here.....
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/odd~vegetables.html

Plant spacing is listed as 36-60" apart on this page......Someone may come along and be able to tell you if they've succeeded with growing them in containers though..... [Smile]
by Belleoftheball on April 24, 2005 06:23 PM
By all means plant up some rhubarb and don't be afraid to use a container. When I lived in an apartment in the city, I grew ruhubard in a big galvanized tub.

My neighbors used to tell everyone that I had a farm up in my 2nd story apartment. It was sort of true. During the lenghth of time I lived there, I grew all kinds of vegetables, was a volunteer to help stranded wildlife, and even had a pet duck that I rescued from a public pond. The mother ducks had turned on the little duckling and were trying to kill the poor thing. In front of a park full of people I jumped in the pond and grabbed the little fellow and took him home. Needless to say, the apartment complex manager just adored me. Between that and my homemade wine making endeavor, I gave them all something to complain about. But the neighbors really did get a kick out of it all.

My miniature schnauzer got so used to people traipsing in and out to see the potato bed I had on the front porch area, or the strawberries in a hanging basket, or to see whatever baby animal was in the box in the living room or on the back deck area, that he completely ceased to bark or be surprised by anything at all. He rarely barks to this day. We're on my Momma's farm for a stay right now, and he won't even chase a squirrel with the yard dogs. He seems to wonder why the squirrels aren't in the house.

Back to the rhubarb. Well, it's a perrenial for one thing. If you get attached to your rhubard, as I was mine, it can stay with you awhile. It's going to be a great big plant too. I used the biggest galvanized tub I could find. It won't get as large in a tub as it would in a corner of your garden, of course. In a garden area, you can use rhubard as a privet type border!

Oh, and rhubard likes a long, cool, spring. It also likes a good freeze during the winter! In warm weather, the growth will slow. It will shoot up pretty little white flowers. Imagine my surprise the first time I saw that. Cut the florets off though, so the rhubard will use it's energy for the next year's stalks.

It's such an agreeable little plant. I don't know why we don't all have a pet rhubarb. You know they're pretty enough to use in flower beds or to use as an ornamental plant.

So I vote to give the rhubarb a whirl. Just use the largest tub you can find. And let us know how it goes.

Belle

-
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
by rldavis on April 25, 2005 08:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by tkhooper:
With the plant spacing recommended as 24 inches apart that would have to be a very large pot. Are you in Washington State? I know my parents friends used to have it and it spread all over.
I was thinking that I would plant it in a wisky barrel. I have a rhubarb plant that has been in the ground in the same spot for years and it has never spread. [kitty]
by weezie13 on April 25, 2005 09:38 PM
Rldavis,
quote:
I have a rhubarb plant that has been in the ground in the same spot for years and it has never spread.
Did you plant it or someone before you on the property???

I had rhubarb growing on the property my mom bought next door to me..... and the same thing
happened, well, come to find out, the previous owners put a triple thick layer of a heavy duty landscape fabric type stuff all around it and it's been kept in the circle for quite some time.

Almost re~growing in on it's self, cause there
was no where's for it to go...

But they do grow in a clump and are well behaved...
I do know it takes a wee~bit of time to establish rhubarb and they say, not to harvest it the first year you plant it, so it can establish it'self...

Do you cut the flower stalks off like Belle mentioned??
quote:
Cut the florets off though, so the rhubard will use it's energy for the next year's stalks.

That may have a factor on it... when a plant goes to seed, it spends it's time on makin' seeds and not new runners out of the clump... [dunno]

Weezie

P/S Welcome to The Garden Helpers' Forum by the way, we're very glad you found us!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by tkhooper on April 25, 2005 11:22 PM
I'm sure Weezie is correct. This was in a weedy, high grass area that was not maintained in any way. I can't tell you more about it. We were kids and just liked picking it and eating it with salt.

-
 -
by weezie13 on April 25, 2005 11:29 PM
Rhubarb and Strawberry Jello
and Rhubarb Pie is very tasty!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Katb on April 26, 2005 03:53 PM
I have a great receipe for easy rassberry ruhburb jelly its very yummy & so easy to make if anyone wants it send me a pm I,ll be glad to share it .
by weezie13 on April 26, 2005 04:16 PM
Katb,
We have a nice little recipe section here,
Would [Cool] love [Love] to have you [gabby] post [critic] it in there....
Anything with that stuff is yummy!!!
*and strawberries, and raspberries, too*

Weezie

P.S. Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by
the way....
We're very glad to have you here!

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Katb on April 26, 2005 08:55 PM
Thanks I,ll post the receipe I havent had time to explore the board yet but I injoyed it so far I,m a member of another board I,m glad to have found this one I love chatting about gardening & I can always learn something from others. [Smile]
by weezie13 on April 27, 2005 04:01 AM
Katb,
quote:
I,m glad to have found this one I love chatting about gardening & I can always learn something from others.
We allllll love chatting about gardening,
we're all pretty much bitten by that insane
GARDENING BUG!!!!
And can't stop talking about gardening...
***even in the middle of winter we're still talking about gardening here...we've got it bad!***

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Belleoftheball on April 29, 2005 07:22 PM
What? We have a cooking corner?

*Belle heads for the cooking area scratching her head!*

Belle

-
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
by Elfinone on April 29, 2005 07:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Belleoftheball:
What? We have a cooking corner?

*Belle heads for the cooking area scratching her head!*

Belle

lolol, yes Belle we have a cooking corner,lol.
hey thanks for the tip on hangin strawberries. I shall try that.
[Wink]
by Katb on May 06, 2005 09:31 PM
I know what ya mean winter is a great time to talk about gardening it gives you something to do as you wait for spring. [kitty]
quote:
Originally posted by weezie13:
Katb,
quote:
I,m glad to have found this one I love chatting about gardening & I can always learn something from others.
We allllll love chatting about gardening,
we're all pretty much bitten by that insane
GARDENING BUG!!!!
And can't stop talking about gardening...
***even in the middle of winter we're still talking about gardening here...we've got it bad!***

Weezie

by weezie13 on May 07, 2005 05:00 AM
Katb,
The GAME ROOM and BANTER HALL is very
busy in the winter too..
And recipes and crafts too....
We get excited for Thanksgiving and Christmas and everything in between...for cooking and presents.

I can't tell you the fun we have here in the winter, spring, summer and fall.............
Really, and each person here, brings
something special to the place too!!!

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Amigatec on May 08, 2005 04:08 AM
Will Rhubarb grow in zone 6?

-
 -
One OS to rule them, one OS to find them:
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie.
by weezie13 on May 08, 2005 06:07 AM
Amigatec,

USDA zone 8 and colder.

Weezie

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: rhubarb ????| Next thread: rhubarb »
Back to Thread index