The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

twig/tree art garden stuff

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Twas the month after Christmas| Next thread: Twinkles »
Back to Thread index
by njoynit on March 13, 2004 04:59 PM
ok found some downed pine trees in woods and want to make maybe a trellis or a bench or shoot make it all one item& maybe an arbor.Any one have expierence?
what ways do you fasten them together most are 2-3 inches thick and maybe 16-20 ft long,but I know how to work a saw.I can drill too.whatcha use?nails?screws?
If I were to use a circular saw...what type blade would I want with the pine sap?I'm not sure could be yellow or white pine.

I'd ask hubby these questions...but if he thought it was for the garden he likely would not answer me at all.But bet he knows how to make them.

pass any links on the stuff on too me.I'll check them out next week.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by catlover on March 14, 2004 03:28 AM
Njoynit....don't have an answer for you but ohhhhh when you get finished please take some pix....I just love garden items that are made out of wood!!!!
Catlover

-
 -
 -
by rue anemone on March 14, 2004 01:39 PM
you have to check this out

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on March 15, 2004 12:02 AM
rue, that is cool, i have seen that kind of work before.

njoynit, i have been thinking about your post since i first read it. what my son and i have done, and are planning to do, is to use the trees and saplings with lashing to hold them together. and on the retaining wall he made for me for my ditch, he just used med size saplings for the support posts and cross beams and slowly backfilled the dirt to wedge the poles against the supports. i'll have to take a picture and post it.
by wendy lisanby on March 26, 2004 06:13 PM
Hi,
In your post you had mentioned you were wanting to build a trellises or bench using 2 inch saplings. You may find the following books helpful to you:
Making Bentwood Trellises, Arbors, Gates & Fences by Jim Long
Rustic Construction by W.Ben Hunt. They both have lots of basic information and great ideas in building rustic items.

When I build smaller trellises i either wire and or nail them together.
On large diameter trellises and arbors you may want to join using Long galvinzed deck screws or lag bolts.

Ways to Anchor trellises :
Use rebar and drive rebar into ground and allow enough above to wire trellis/arbor to this is the method i use have heard that others have
used pvc pipe and put legs of trellis inside the pvc that has been placed into the ground.

If you like rustic furniture and are interested in learning more could also consider joining the yahoo group called twig furniture.

If I can be of any further assistence feel free to email me

Blessings,
Wendy lisanby Rustic Furniture by Wendy Lisanby

www.rusticfurnituremakers.com/wendylisanby.html
by rue anemone on March 27, 2004 06:58 AM
Wonderful furniture Wendy!

-
 -
by weezie13 on March 28, 2004 05:25 PM
Wendy,
I can't access your home page????
Can you help us get there???

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by wendy lisanby on March 28, 2004 10:54 PM
For those who are having trouble accessing my web page I apologize. The link for wendys furniture seems to be working but the web address i typed left out the .html which is required in order to get the site to come up ok.
below i have entered the link again. Another way to access my work is to go to rusticfurnituremakers.com and go to the listing by name can find me on the last page of names under wendy lisanby or can search there and find me under the state Illinois.hope this helps if not let me know

also if anyone would like to be on my email list please let me know i would be happy to add you.

blessings,
wendy wendys rustic furniture

www.rusticfurnituremakers.com/wendylisanby.html

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Twas the month after Christmas| Next thread: Twinkles »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: