The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Green Pepper Help Needed

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: GREEN PEPPER & S. S. PEA UPDATE!!| Next thread: Green Peppers »
Back to Thread index
by Renee Arroyo on April 19, 2005 05:55 PM
I've planted my first garden using seeds. Within days some of my plants including what I thought was California Wonder green pepper plants began to sprout. They first looked like asparagus. The plants are now roughly 3.5' - 4' tall and look like they have fern type branches. They have very small yellow flowers on these fern type branches. I thought maybe they were weeds, but they are growing in a row in the line I labeled green peppers. Nothing else is growing in that row. Are these green pepper plants? Please advise. Thanks.
by Dixie Angel on April 19, 2005 06:17 PM
[wayey] , Renee! I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to welcome you to the Garden Helper forum. I'm sure someone will be along shortly that can answer your question. In the meantime, browse the board and enjoy yourself.

Dianna

-
 -
by Sorellina on April 19, 2005 06:54 PM
Peppers have a 'teardrop-shaped' leaf shape without any serrations or branching. They're smooth, shiny, and deep green when healthy. I'm not sure what you've got there but a picture is worth a thousand words ;o)

Cheers,
Julianna

-
by Renee Arroyo on April 19, 2005 09:44 PM
I'll take a picture and send it in. Thanks.
by Renee Arroyo on April 20, 2005 01:59 AM
How do you attach a photo?
by Renee Arroyo on April 20, 2005 04:52 AM
OK, figured out what to do here.Just click on pictures when you get to the site. Thanks Arroyo Homepage
by PAR_Gardener on April 20, 2005 07:56 AM
I've never grown asparagus from seed, but that looks like a miniture version of my asparagus once I let it mature over the summer. It is definitely not a pepper plant. I start a lot of veggies from seed, and many look alike when the sprout. You usually have to wait until the true leaves appear, but what you have is mature and there is no mistaking it here.

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by obywan59 on April 20, 2005 03:39 PM
Yup! It looks like asparagus to me too.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Renee Arroyo on April 20, 2005 04:08 PM
Thanks for your responses. How funny. So what should I do now? Do I just dig them up and start over? When they come up at first do you just cut them off at the base? I've never seen asparagus grow before. Your help is really appreciated.
by PAR_Gardener on April 22, 2005 02:58 PM
If you don't want to grow asparagus, then dig it up.

If you want to grow it,asparagus is a perannial. It should be planted in a location where you won't be disturbing it with other plantings. Since you wanted to grow peppers, that site may not be appropriate. You may be able to move them now, but it as a delicate root system, and you don't want to damage the crown. If it was that easy to start from seed, you may just want to re-seed in the bed you identify as your asparagus bed. I've read that if you grow asparagus from seed, you really shouldn't harvest any until the 3rd year. Allowing it to "fern" out allows the crown to grow and store energy.

Yes harvesting asparagus is just cutting themy down at ground level. Some people prefer snapping the spears so you only get the tender shoots. Harvesting the spears as they emerge deplets energy from the crown because it has to send up new spears. You can keep harvesting until the spears get as thin as a pencil. Then you are supposed to let the plant fern out and store energy for the next year. Since your plant are new, the crowns are not mature enough to be harvested.

Good luck!

Composting is more than good for your garden. It's a way of life.
by Longy on April 22, 2005 04:20 PM
Wow. That's bizarre. Did the seeds look like pepper seeds? Sorta flattish and rounded? Is it possible the asparagus was already there dormant and just happened to reshoot when you watered the seeds???? Too weird. I guess it's possible the seeds were mixed up at the seed supplier. I've never seen asparagus seed. What's it look like?
by weezie13 on April 22, 2005 06:00 PM
I'm with Longy on what he said,
Wierd!!! [shocked] [nutz]
And I'd go with it already being there from
previous or in the seed package they screwed up!

If the seed was wrongly packaged, I'd take
back your package, show them the pictures
and tell them you would like to give you a new
package at least!!!

What was the name of the seed company the package
of seed came in..????

Weezie

P.S. Welcome to The Garden Helper's Forum by the way, we're glad you found us and we're glad to have you here...
That's a great lil`garden you have there...
Is it your first one?
Do you do other plants too??

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: GREEN PEPPER & S. S. PEA UPDATE!!| Next thread: Green Peppers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: