The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

brown curled up leaves

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by gchughes on April 19, 2005 02:28 AM
I have tomatoes,squash, pepper and cucumber that I have planted as soon as the weather got warm (frost threat was gone), but I have notived that my plants have developed leaves that are withering and turning brown and curling up. I have checked the Ph and it seems to sweet. I brought in horse manure to enrich the soil, but l;ast year I did the same thing and the garden took off great. This year it just seems like it's almost stunted. I've fertilized and watered, then I went the other way and tried to dry it out. Still no effect. The whole plant is not effected, just the lower leaves, but its beginning to make itself more prevelent. Some ofthe plants are turning grey and almost drying up, yet other leaves are uneffected. I don't want to loose all of my plants, but am afraid that's where I'm headed. Any help or suggestions? Thanks
by Dixie Angel on April 19, 2005 02:51 PM
[wayey] Welcome to the board, gchughes! I hope someone answers you soon. Sorry I can't help, but I am having the same problem with my tomatoes. [Eek!] My future hubby and I were wondering if maybe they had gotten frostbitten or something. [dunno] We have had a couple of really chilly mornings since we put the maters out.

Dianna

-
 -
by Sorellina on April 19, 2005 06:49 PM
Ciao GC,

Were your tomato plants 'hardened off' before setting out into the garden? By that I mean, did you put them outside for short periods of time in shade, then gradually increasing the time and amount of sunshine over the course of about a week? Your plants may be suffering from transplant shock. Even when planted outside when it's warmed up sufficiently, unless they're gradually introduced into this outside environment where wind, sunlight, heat etc are all factors they didn't have to contend with when inside the house or in a greenhouse, they can suffer. Keep a watch on new growth. If the new growth is a nice dark green, it was probably shock and they'll recover. If the new growth is also brown and withered, you may have a foliage disease on your hands. Using Daconil may or may not help at that point but it will be your only option if that's what you've got. If the new growth is yellow, it's probably nutrient deficiency, but I doubt it as you say you've recently fertilized. Resist the temptation to fertilize again until fruit set or you'll risk further problems. Tomatoes aren't big feeders.

Buona fortuna,
Julianna

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: