The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Check out these pictures!! (My indoor Garden)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by noneofyourbusiness on April 17, 2005 05:25 AM
I added new pictures to my site! Check them out!! My indoor garden
by MissJamie on April 17, 2005 05:32 AM
lucky you!!! I'm soooo jealous! I'm trying to grow some things from seed and nothing is coming up yet except for the picotee cleomes. I'm gardening outside though. good luck with your beautiful plants! I can't believe you're growing corn inside! I didn't know that could be done! lol

-
 -
*~*Last night I played a blank tape at full blast. The mime next door went nuts.
*~* http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2125497034
by 4Ruddy on April 17, 2005 05:35 AM
greta pics! What a great set up for your plants! [thumb]

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by 4Ruddy on April 17, 2005 05:36 AM
greta??????I am so tired and sore from working outside...I can't even type! Okay...so GREAT pics!

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...
by noneofyourbusiness on April 17, 2005 06:35 AM
Thank you very much! I can't bend down to do the outdoor gardening, so I do it all indoors, and the wife does the outdoors. SO I get it all started for her.

Anything can be grown indoors, you just gotta know how much light (times) the plants need, and give them the brightest light you can afford. I have one 1000w HPS, and one 400w MH light going in that room. I also have another 400w HPS/MH combo light I add when things get big. That room would usually be packed with veggies only, but I needed to make room for the flowers until they go outside.
by weezie13 on April 17, 2005 06:47 AM
WOWWWWWWWWWWWW!
You've done alot of work there!!
Great job!!!
Love the peppers, I can't believe they're so big! and the corn too, fantantist!!!

Weezie

P.S. Thanks for posting those pictures,
you did a great job!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by noneofyourbusiness on April 17, 2005 06:50 AM
Actually, pictures can be deceiving! lol
Those peppers are only about 3 inches tall. I made the plant flower early so they'd be a nice snack size for my son. That's one of the fun things you can do indoors. The corn is full sized though.
by tkhooper on April 17, 2005 01:16 PM
Hi None,

I currently have 4 plants under my new florescent light. The lettuce is doing great I think. Although I ended up with 8 sprouts from my 6 seed. Can't count here. I love your umbrella type thing. Can you tell me more about it? Did you make it? What does it do, besides look really great?

-
 -
by noneofyourbusiness on April 20, 2005 07:26 AM
The 'umbrela' is actually called a 'reflector'. It reflects the light so that it makes it more concentrated in one area. That one is meant specifically for a high pressure light. You can't use them on floros. You can get them, and other grow accesories here: Bustan Hydroponics
If you don't want a big light (mine cost alot of $$) you can get a CFL (Compact florescent) like this: Florecsents
Look around that site, they have alot of cool stuff. My lights, are something like this: 1000w
by tkhooper on April 20, 2005 12:01 PM
Is there a link where a "dim bulb" could learn more about lighting. I can't really understand what the descriptions are all about. My T12 is 1680 watts and cost .96 cents. And if that's low light then I am damaging my plants by starving them for light. I have tomatoes, lettuce and a ranunculus under it right now. And they all call for a lot of light.

-
 -
by noneofyourbusiness on April 21, 2005 06:58 AM
Here's one I found in a quick search: IIndoor grow lights
If you have any specific questions, just ask.

Floresecent lights are usually only good for small herbs, or seedlings. If you want to get good results, you need a good light.
by noneofyourbusiness on April 21, 2005 07:03 AM
You'll find alot of information about indoor growing if you do a search for "Hydroponics". Most info you'll find also relates to dirt growing, hydroponics is just growing without dirt.
by tkhooper on April 21, 2005 11:01 AM
Thank you None,

For your patience and information. Right now I need to learn the basics. Then will come lots and lots of questions lol.

-
 -
by noneofyourbusiness on April 22, 2005 06:27 PM
Just glad to help!!
Feel free to ask ANYTHING!!
by Jiffymouse on April 23, 2005 05:31 PM
how big are the containers you grow your corn in?
by ChristinaC on April 24, 2005 04:37 AM
Hi Noneofyourbusiness [wayey]
I'm new to gardening and started seeds indoors for the first time this year. I've had amazing luck....everything is doing so great...I have tomatoes, peppers, celery, beans, basil, dill, cilantro, parsley, lettuce, sunflowers, shastas, etc, etc....anyways....I've been thinking about growing indoors over the winter (I know it's a long time away..thank god!!), but I was wondering if its possible? So my main question for you is $$! I realize it's noneofmybusiness (haha) but having all those lights you have.....doesnt that get expensive??
Christina
P.S. Your garden is amazing!!!!

-
 -
by noneofyourbusiness on April 24, 2005 07:06 AM
Running ONE of those lights for 12 hours, is the same (in wattage) as running a 27 inch TV for 24 hours. It adds about $80 per month onto the bill. The most expensive part is the initial buying of the lights, and all the other supplies. I buy alot of nutrients, and additives, so it does cost quite a bit. The lights cost about $250 each, but they are well worth it. If you do a room the size of mine, you'll also need and exhaust fan, to keep the humidity down. Those can cost about $180 each(for a good one).

But all in all, I think it's worth it. It's verry rewarding, and alot of fun. How else could you get fresh watermelon in the middle of winter? lol
Any other questions ............just ask. It ALLyourbusiness!!! lmao [thumb] [muggs]
by noneofyourbusiness on April 24, 2005 07:12 AM
The corn is in 3 gallon pots, but really should be in at least 5. I've just been lazy lately!
by noneofyourbusiness on April 24, 2005 07:58 AM
OK, I added more pictures that should help some of you out!!! My Indoor Garden [thumb]
by tkhooper on April 24, 2005 01:40 PM
Another "dim bulb question"

If one 40 watt florescent is equal to 1260 or good for growing low light plants. Would two double that? Or would it stay the same? My shop light fixture will handle two tubes.

Second question. The Shop light I bought was cheap (and not just in price). It has connections at both ends with slots in it and they bend just enough that when I put the second tube in the first fell out and shattered. Could I put alittle tape accross the openings at one end to hold the little sucker in place? I'm on a fixed budget so what I have is what I'm stuck with.

-
 -
by ChristinaC on April 24, 2005 05:05 PM
Hi noneofyourbusiness [wayey]
Is that american or canadian $$'s? I'm in Ontario.
Christina [muggs]

-
 -
by noneofyourbusiness on April 24, 2005 05:51 PM
Christina: Canadian, of course. I'm in Ontario too!!! lol [muggs]

TK: The lumens will stay the same, it just becomes more concentrated in one area. I would add the second bulb if you can. Yes, you could just tape it in place, or try bending the socket a bit to make it fit tighter.
by Belleoftheball on April 24, 2005 05:55 PM
Noneofyourbusiness:

OMG. This is fantastic. My Atlanta Braves baseball cap is off to you.

Belle

-
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
by noneofyourbusiness on April 24, 2005 06:04 PM
Belle: Thank you very much. But it might mean more if it was a Blue Jays Cap, you know.....a good team!!! LMAO [Big Grin] [muggs]
by Belleoftheball on April 24, 2005 06:31 PM
Noneofyourbusiness:

Well, talk about i-ron-y or some such. My 2 favorite teams in the universe are the Braves and the BLUE JAYS! I grew up in the Greenville, SC area and the farm team/ semi was the Greenville Braves. I went to college in the Knoxville, TN area, and the farm team/semi there was the Blue Jays. Naturally I became a Braves and Blue Jays fan because that's what I cut my teeth on and I love nothing more than baseball. Uh, except gardening. And eating. And cooking. And story telling. And reading. And writing. Oh, never mind.

I honestly am completely in worship mode over your indoor garden. When I saw the corn I hooted so loud I scared the yard dogs and they barked a blue streak.

Now, i can't imagine how you have enough lighting to get all that stuff to grow. I've container gardened, but always had a front porch and deck area with a lot of sun. When I grow inside, my stuff gets spindly from too little light.

Is there a particular kind of light you swear by? Have you ever used the lights marketed as grow lights? I'd like to set something up indoors for my Momma. I don't plan to stay here on the farm with her forever, so want to get some things in place for her before I light out into the territory again.

Belle

-
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
by noneofyourbusiness on April 24, 2005 06:57 PM
Those lights are "Grow lights". They are more than enough for what I have going in there. I also have another light I hook up when things get bigger. One of those lights is a 400 Watt HPS, the other is a 400 Watt MH. I won't have all those flowers in there in a month, they'll be moved to the outside gardens. I used to use 1000 watt lights, and I still have them, but I decided to down grade, as the bills were a little high.
That light is perfect for indoor growing. Having both HPS, and MH, I have both red and blue spectrums, required for healthy plants. It's allot more light than you'd get from a window. If you got these lights, you'd have more than enough light to get your momma started. Just look at that corn!!! I can't beleive it either. It's my first time trying it.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: