The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Moss on my bricks

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: moss/coconut hanging baskets| Next thread: moss phlox-prune? »
Back to Thread index
by hisgal2 on February 13, 2004 04:03 PM
We have gorgeous brick work on a pathway next to our house and on our back patio. Its pretty shady there because of alot of trees (and a grape arbor over the patio). We get quite a bit of moss that grows on the brick. I'm thinking some of the growth has to do with water sitting on the brick when it rains instead of running off. But the moss grows in areas that the water doesn't lay on also. I scrub the bricks with bleach water to kill the moss and get it off, but its VERY time consuming and hard on my knees(even tho I use a pillow when I'm scrubbing). I'm thinking about renting a power washer for this year. But the main problem is that its usually back in a matter of 4-5 weeks. Is there anything that I can do to get the moss to stop growing??? I have a picture of the brick work on my website if you wanted to look. The page is still under construction, so its the only picture on that page.

-
 -

-
by Jiffymouse on February 13, 2004 05:04 PM
hey jennifer, when we lived on guam, we had the same problem, only rather than moss, it was algae. the way we "fixed" it was to wash the sidewalk about once a month with a solution of bleach, spic-n-span (i think that is borax, but i am not sure, i always used the name brand), and dishwasher detergent. seems like it was 1 gal of water, 1/2 c bleach, 1/2 cup spic-n-span, and 2 table spoons of dishwasher deterget (i used poweder cascade). rather than "scrub on your hands and knees) what i did (through 2 pregnancies even) was to use a very stiff bristled broom, like the cheap, plastic bristled ones. make it a regular routine, and do it as soon as the bricks start to get the faintest hint of green.

note: we had to, not for looks, but rather, if it rained, we would bust our yayas as the algae on concrete is as slick as icee if not more so 'cause you aren't expecting it!
by Newt on February 13, 2004 10:15 PM
Hi Jennifer,
Moss will grow where the conditions are correct for it. The only way to keep it from coming back is to change the conditions. Some mosses grow in moist shade and some in sun. You might be able to change the conditions by limbing up and/or thinning the trees to allow some sunlight to shine on the bricks.

Bleach will help to slow the growth, but as soon as it is washed away and the conditions revert back, the moss will appear again. Bleach is also not good for anything growing where it runs off. You might want to consider purchasing a power sprayer. You probably don't need a heavy duty one if you do it regularly. Here's some tips from This Old House, including how to use the power sprayer so as not to do damage to the bricks.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/tvprograms/asktoh/qaarticle/0,16588,446065,00.html

Good luck,
Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by Barb H. on February 14, 2004 05:47 AM
Jennifer,

LOL! Do you KNOW how much I WANT moss to grow around the shady areas in my yard? [Smile]

Anyway, what's wrong with moss? I think the moss adds character....but then I'm pretty [nutz] sometimes! (you should see the inside of my house....it's a 70's freak show!) [Roll Eyes] hehehe....we're renovating but starting with the outside first. (If you ever want a laugh...private message me and give me your email and I'll send you a photo of some of the creepier aspects of buying a house last decorated in the 70's!! It will blow your mind!!)

Oh, btw I LOVE the paint in your living room. Our last house we had fixed up and had similar paint....it was called Butter Cookie! And, it was so bright, and yet so warm and cozy....loved it!

Oh....where were we? Oh, yeah...the moss! Just wanted to say that I actually like the mossy look....you could plant woodland type plants in the area....wonderful shady area plants, ferns, hostas, primroses, bleeding hearts. But...that's just me...it's your garden and the best thing about that is that you can have things the way YOU like them!! [kissies]

I loved your website....I need to get me one of them!!! [Big Grin]

-
by hisgal2 on February 14, 2004 10:42 PM
I guess its more of an algea that is on the bricks instead of the moss. It is VERY slippery when it is wet. Yes...like ice. I might just "invest" in a cheap broom. [Smile]

I was going to ask for ideas about what to plant in that area. There are 2 massive trees there. One on my propery and one on the next door's property. We're hoping to cut down our big tree. Its too close to the house and kind of freaks me out. ...maybe just a trim tho. [Wink]

I don't really want to change the shady-ness of that side of the house. It keeps our house from getting overly hot during the summer...its on that side of the house.

This summer, I want to dig trenches and put gravel and PVC pipes that have holes drilled in them into that side of the yard to help with drainage, as that isdefinately a problem on that side of the house. We get rivers in our basement every time we get heavy rain. I'm dreading this spring!!! [scaredy]

-
 -

-
by papito on February 14, 2004 11:38 PM
Drainage info.

http://www.askthebuilder.com/175_Drying_Soggy_Soil_-_A_Simple_Trench_Drain.shtml

or a "French Drain":

http://www.gardenadvice.co.uk/howto/garden-build/frenchdrain/

-
 -

Amor est vitae essentia.
Love is the essence of life.
by Newt on February 15, 2004 03:07 AM
Papito, great sites! I've bookmarked them to use for others. Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer,
When we did our drain, we used pipes that had no holes where it ran along the foundation and used the ones with holes that were further away.

As to what to plant, primulas like shady and damp and not all are the low growing plants that you see in garden centers in the spring. Take a look here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_profiles/primula/primula3.shtml

Most ferns like shady and damp as well. Think about astilbe, bergenia cordifolia, siberian iris, ligularia and pulmonaria.

Newt

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.
by hisgal2 on February 17, 2004 04:30 AM
The trenches will be about 5'-6' from the house because we have the walkway right next to the house. Is there a reason that you didn't use the perferated pipes near the foundation??? Thanks for the websites. I bookmarked them and will read them later tonight or tomorrow.

Also, thanks for the plant suggestions. I will look them up and makea visit to the nursery to see if they have anything. I'm not allowed to order anymore seeds this year (husband is totally shaking in his boots at this point!!) [Big Grin]

-
 -

-
by hisgal2 on February 17, 2004 04:53 AM
another thought. would putting plants in help with the drainage situation at all???

-
 -

-
by Newt on February 17, 2004 05:18 AM
Hi Jennifer,
Glad you found those sites useful. We didn't put the perforated pipe near the house so the water would be carried away from the foundation and drain into the yard. The water will drain out of the first sets of holes first and then be carried on.

Putting plants in will help with the drainage a bit because the roots will drink up some of the water, but they really aren't a solution, just a bit of a help.

Careful at the nursery. Your hubby will be shaking his head like mine does!

Newt

by hisgal2 on February 17, 2004 04:30 PM
Ah...but there is where my plan will work!! I'll leave mine at home!! [Big Grin] He has no control if he isn't there!!! [Smile] Besides, he can't say much about what I do around the house. I let him get a new electronic "toy" and he is going to get to build an addition onto the deck. (I haven't told him that his addition will mean that I will get to put pots of plants on the deck!!) [lala] That poor man...so much that he has to put up with!! [Big Grin]

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: moss/coconut hanging baskets| Next thread: moss phlox-prune? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: