The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Recycled Potting Soil & a Suprise

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: recycle used plumbing for...| Next thread: Recycling old crib? »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on April 09, 2005 03:48 PM
I had some potting soil that I had tried to sprout something in and it hadn't work so when I needed some soil to transplant some herbs that is what I used. No Problem.

The herbs grew and were finally planted outside. But I noticed some little tinny plants starting in the pot when I transplanted the herbs and I decided to let them grow to see what they were. I figured maybe they were weeds that had gotten in there some how.

Imagine my suprise when the first set of true leaves showed up this morning with a spot of color on them. They are coleus that I had tried to start from seed this winter.

I must have originally covered them with to much soil although I barely sprinkle a pinch of soil over the top of them...but, then I am heavy handed.

They seem to be growing very slowly so I'm thinking maybe I am doing something wrong? I keep the soil slightly moist and they are in a window that gets morning sun.

-
 -
by sam314 on April 09, 2005 07:06 PM
Sounds like you are doing everything you need to. It might take them a while to get going. As they get more leaves, they should start to take off.

God Bless,
Sam
Prov. 3:5-6
by Jiffymouse on April 10, 2005 12:49 AM
what a nice "surpise blessing" ! i reuse potting soil and jiffy pellets all the time. although a little differently. my jiffy pellets that do not sprout, i use to try to sprout something else (non-edible). the potting soil, i dump in the raised bed i am making...

good luck to you and your coleuses!
by tkhooper on April 10, 2005 03:56 PM
Thank you,

It's extra special because I lost my big coleus last year. I forgot about the flower spikes and let them bloom. I didn't know about growth hormone and couldn't get any of the cuttings to root. Although I tried both in water and moist soil.

-
 -
by Tiger38 on April 10, 2005 09:59 PM
I have had the same thing happen. Usually I just pull the plant & discard, but this year I decided to let them grow. So far I have 8 in different stages of growth. Hope they turn out to be something special. I love surprises!

Margaret K
by tkhooper on April 11, 2005 05:12 PM
Me too!!!!

So far I have 4 coleus in that pot. Don't know what kind yet there are only little tinny true leaves just forming. In the ranculus(sp) pot I have something comming up also. But so far it is just the seed leaves so I haven't got a clue what it might be. Whatever it is it had better like some strange growning conditions cause the ranculus does. [Big Grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: recycle used plumbing for...| Next thread: Recycling old crib? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: