The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Rock gardens?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Rock Gardens| Next thread: Rocks in my head? »
Back to Thread index
by tamara on January 06, 2004 03:11 AM
Planning on making a large rock garden in the spring, can you give me some pointers and info? Remember zone 4. [thinker]

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Bill on January 06, 2004 03:27 AM
Here's a rock garden plant list for you!
http://www.thegardenhelper.com/rockplants.html
[Wink]

-
by tamara on January 06, 2004 02:51 PM
Thanks Bill, have you ever used any kind of shrub in your rock gardens? I already made a small one this fall but I did it all with bulbs. Hopefully they will take and multiply. I have unlimited access to rock from our local crush rock quarry.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
by Bill on January 06, 2004 04:41 PM
I tend to lean toward dwarfs and miniature plants in my rock gardens. There are many fine, dwarf Azaleas, Rhodys, and varieties of Pieris that I like in a rock garden setting. Most alpine shrubs and trees look great too!
[grin]

-
by rue anemone on January 06, 2004 06:35 PM
I have a few minature shrubs in my rock garden. All different types of evergreens and a Tom Thumb cotoneaster.

I really like the look of minature shrubs.

-
 -
by tamara on January 06, 2004 06:57 PM
I have not seen very much dwarf varieties in our local nurseries, do you use mail order for them?

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
by rue anemone on January 07, 2004 04:09 PM
The Tom Thumb was from a local generic nursery. We have a couple nongeneric nurseries in town that have really neat, different and wide selection of plants.

I consider Lowe`s, Franks, the big chains, generic nurseries and the small mom and pop ones nongeneric.

Siskiyou Rare Plant Nursey has a mail order and a very nice selection of plants.

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rock Gardens| Next thread: Rocks in my head? »
Back to Thread index