The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

want to cover an unsightly pole

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by Vibeke on July 05, 2006 08:26 AM
Hello everyone, I am new here. This is my first post.
I have a very unattractive, 10' stainless steel pole which used to hold a satelite dish in my back yard. I would love to hide it under a climbing vine of some sort.
We are in between zone 5-6, the pole gets late morning and afternoon sun, with average to rocky soil.
We are in the woods and have hungry deer grazing about.
Would settle for English Ivy, but would prefer something flowering to attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
Ever green would be lovely.
I thank you in advance for any advice you can give.
by Triss on July 05, 2006 03:54 PM
This may help some.

Flowering Vines

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by Vibeke on July 05, 2006 11:13 PM
Dear Triss,
Thank you for your response. I did read that post before posting myself, however, I am unfamiliar with vines and was not sure which of those listed would give the best coverage.
Is it simply a matter of training the vine?
Thanks again-V
by tamara on July 06, 2006 12:34 AM
I'd try a few varieties of clematis, they have different blooming times, a good nursery can help you out choosing them.

-
 -
Tamara's Photos
Thinking Spring, Thinking Spring...Nope, doesn't work.lol
by Vibeke on July 06, 2006 12:44 AM
Thank you. I will!
by Triss on July 06, 2006 07:08 AM
V- I dunno about coverage either since I do not grow many vines myself. My gardening it trial and error. I agree with Tamara that your local nursery will be able to give you good ideas on what will grow well in your area and give you the coverage you desire.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by KKMedic on July 06, 2006 04:39 PM
We have 4 (yes, 4) unsightly sets of guide wires in our small yard for the utility poles also plaguing our yard. I planted Diplodenias to grow up them... they are evergreen, flower pretty dark fuschia trumpet flowers that slowly fade to white/light pink. I am also attempting to train a confederate jasmine to share one of the guidewires.
Good luck!

Love begins at home, and it is not how much we do...but how much love we put in that action. -Mother Teresa

Work for the Lord - the pay isn't much but the retirement is out of this world!

"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's sould remains unawakened."   ~Anatole France
by debnoel on July 06, 2006 05:02 PM
I don't live for from you and my clemitis covers one end of my side porch completely. My neighbor has trumpet vine and it does wonderfully. It also attracts lots of hummingbirds.She also has honeysuckle. All of these have come back year after year. None are evergreen, and the trumpet vine and honeysuckle seem to bloom for quite a while. My clematis blooms in the fall.
by Deborah L. on July 06, 2006 05:12 PM
What about a wisteria?
But......here's a thought, wouldn't the steel get hot and harm a plant?

-
 -
by RugbyHukr on July 07, 2006 02:04 PM
Diplodenias are not hardy in the Poconos region.

for evergreen & color, try growing ivy & a flowering vine like honeysuckle or morning glory.

you will need to prune the top so that your dish is not overgrown.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Vibeke on July 07, 2006 09:58 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses, I appreciate the help.
by hisgal2 on July 08, 2006 03:54 AM
You may want to think about wrapping some sort of thin wire around the pole before you plant your vines. A steel pole doesn't really have a place for the vines to grab onto and the wire would help them out. A local store uses morning glories to cover some poles that they have. They are fast growing and very pretty...I like those alot.

-
 -

-

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: