The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

How long can houseplants stay in the dark?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: How long are bulbs good?| Next thread: how long do I have to wait? »
Back to Thread index
by sg on April 09, 2005 05:34 AM
Hi all,
I'm moving from Chicago to Arizona. I was wondering if my houseplants will survive the move. I have 2 Hybiscus trees that I keep in the yard in summer and in the house in winter as well as other common houseplants. How long can they stay on the moving truck in the dark and survive? Just wondering if it is viable to move them this way. Any help would be appreciated.
by Barb Illinois Zone 5 on April 09, 2005 08:18 AM
Hi, SG!
What a conundrum. We love our plants and hate to leave them behind but will they survive the journey? [dunno]
I would say that they could survive the trip provided once you get to the Soutwest the interior of the truck doesn't get too hot. [Mad] If you're renting the truck and moving yourself make sure you have access to them so you can check them over. If your move is being done by a transfer company I'm not sure they'd survive as I'm sure the driver will not be able to check on them. I guess my biggest concern would be extreme temperature changes, hot or cold, inside the truck and I don't know if there's anything you can do about that. [thinker]
I would prepare them by giving them a good watering the day before the move and then insulate the root systems by wrapping the pots in several layers of newspaper. Then I'd put the entire plant in a plastic bag and loosely tie it shut. Hope this helps a bit. I'll be watching to see if anyone else comes up with a better idea cause someday I'm going to move to Florida, I swear! [grin]

-
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intent of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
"WHOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!"
by Jiffymouse on April 10, 2005 12:40 AM
they will be fine a few days or even a couple of weeks as long as they dont get too hot, or alternately freeze. although, i think you are past the point of freezing. been there, done that.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: How long are bulbs good?| Next thread: how long do I have to wait? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: