The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Indoor Herb Problems

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by tbmagis on December 08, 2004 10:14 PM
Hey,

I am a college kid who grows basil, sweat pea (not an herb, I know), parlsey, and peppermint indoors. I have had a few problems, and I know it's because I probably have terrible conditions, but maybe someone would help.

Another question is "does a regular light bulb placed above a plant provide some light to a plant to grow, or do you need flourescent?"

OK...

Well, I had mold growing on the top of my soil indoors. I have my plants in a window, and I'm in MN, so I'm sure they aren't too healthy to begin with because it's cold here (tehehe). The mold wasn't growing anywhere but in the corners of the containers on top of the soil...around the edges and what not. I bought this "3 in one" spray w/pesticide, fungicide, and herbicide in it. It is supposed to work, but I have been using it and the mold isn't like disappearing. What could cause this? Dusty areas? Too much watering?

Another problem I have, which might be due to the cold, is some parts of my plants, the leaves turn whiter and whiter, and sometimes fall off. They almost look like they turn to wax. For example, my basil plant has a lot of the leaves do this on the lower parts, but then on the top the leaves still look really green and healthy. It's wierd. Then the basil plant looks like a tree cause the bottom is just stem basically. haha is there enough info here for any help!?!?!

I think all my plants are dying.

Thanks a lot,
Tom
by zelinda on December 17, 2004 10:28 AM
Hi Tom,
Can you describe your watering practices? I'm thinking maybe you're overwatering. How about the temperature? Is it cold by the window?

My basil and parsley are indoors now because the weather is a little cold outside (in California), but they are doing fine. Actually, the basil is doing better than it was outdoors!

Give us a little more info and we'll try to help you out.

Zelinda.
by tbmagis on December 18, 2004 12:00 AM
I started out watering them a couple times a week, mostly since I read that young seeds and plants benefit from a lot of water at first. When they started to mold, I started watering them about once a week, maybe twice. Lately it's only been about once a week though. They are by the window yes, it's cold. I doubt it's cold enough for them to freeze completely, but it must be too cold or something. I think that's what's turning them whitish maybe.
by plantgirl on December 21, 2004 08:39 AM
I know with basil in particular the leaves turn yellow when you are watering it too much. Mine has remained inside all year round because it's too hot in So Cal in the summer and now too cold in the winter. However, mine's in my kitchen and it easily is in the 40s in there overnight. But my basil is still holding up well.

good luck
by mich168 on December 22, 2004 04:32 AM
Also, a regular light bulb (incandescent) will not do your plants any good. Artifical light needs to fluorescent (the cheaper way to go) or a grow light (not sure what the bulbs are in one of those).
Good Luck!

-
 -
by Ann1 on December 22, 2004 05:21 AM
Gro-lights [or their equivalent] are the best ones to use for plant growing, but I remember there was some talk of regular florescent bulbs being okay, especially if you use one that has a pink tinge and one that has a blue tinge.

The availability of the different colored florescent bulbs was evident in one of the libraries I worked in. They must not have been using a consistent source of bulbs because it was very obvious overhead that there were at least two colors of florescent tubes!

Ann

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: