The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Started Seeds indoors!! HELP!!!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Started my herbs today.| Next thread: Started seeds too early? »
Back to Thread index
by amybeth on March 17, 2005 10:07 PM
Help! I think I got a little carried away. I have always had a small veg. garden but this year I decided I was going all out so I bought all kinds of seeds and started them indoors (Carrots, squash, beans, cucumbers, peppers, eggplants, lettuce.....). I started them on March 3rd and they are doing GREAT! but now what? I have read different things on the internet to do, some say I need to transplant in larger pots, some say I can take them straight from the flats to the garden (hardening off first, of course). I just don't want to lose them because I have put so much time into them already, but some of my plants are 10 inches high (zuchini, squash). I'm willing to do whatever it takes but it would be so much work to repot all these plants. Any advise would be much appreciated!!

Amy

amy
by The Plant Doc on March 19, 2005 02:55 PM
If you were to shorten the hours of light that the plants were getting they would slow down their growth. That is if you are using artifical growlights.
Hopefully Mother Nature [perplexed] will give in soon and allow us to start doing things outside. But it won't be for quite a while up here in Cheeseland, we just recieved another 2 feet of that white stuff yesterday! [shocked]

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by sidheblooms on March 22, 2005 05:20 PM
hi amy!

well, it is definatly a good thing to get super excited about gardening, and starting from seed is sooo rewarding! good for you!

as for transplanting them..well..i would put the squash, eggplant, cucumber, peppers in bigger plants, you will be glad you did when you see them all full, lush and healthy. as for beans and carrots..well..i think you may have jumped the gun on them. they are good to sow directly in the soil when it warms up a bit. actually, i dont know how well carrots will transplant.

i say, if you have the room, let them spread out. especially the veggies i mentioned. nothing like a good healthy start for a pepper or eggplant. lettuce i think you could keep in the 6-pack, or what ever cell-pack you have.

good luck, and see if you can get a tube of flouresent over them...they will reward you with much yummy fruits!

-
HAPPINESS is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony. ~ Ghandi
by Sorellina on March 30, 2005 12:31 AM
Be extra careful with the squashes and cukes as they don't like their roots disturbed much. I always plant those guys in peat pots no earlier than 1 month before plant out. If you start them inside right ON your last day of frost, they'll be perfect. They grow FAST.

-

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Started my herbs today.| Next thread: Started seeds too early? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: