The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Lilies gone. What next? Can someone help?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: lilies dieing| Next thread: LILIUM TRUMPET. »
Back to Thread index
by Maria K on June 30, 2006 03:58 AM
Dear kind and knowledgable gardeners,
Until two weeks ago, I claimed that gardening wasn't my thing. Then we poured a patio, my neighbor helped me cut a bed, and I was hooked.
Sooo, I just picked out what I liked. Because I lost my mom to cancer in December and she loved yellow, I chose Lemon Pixie Pot lilies. I think I planted them properly. They were so beautiful, I just sat and gazed at them. Now that the flowers have expired, I'm left with stalks to look at. I didn't know that they are finished so quickly. What a dumb choice. I read that they won't come back until next year. I also have daisies that look shriveled, but there is at least a thriving hosta.
Does anyone have any ideas of what I can add that will be easy to care for, beautiful, and will fill in the rest of the summer so that I'm not staring at stalks? I'm zone 5 or 6. I love anything that has color and will last, maybe even into fall, (I'm not looking at annuals this year).
I get totally overwhelmed at the store and just need some point blank advice. Thanks so much.

Maria
Quote: "This time for sure"
-Bullwinkle J. Moose
by alankhart on June 30, 2006 04:44 AM
Unfortunately, most perennials have a limited bloom season. With that said, there are some that may bloom for a month or more, like Creme Brulee coreopsis, blanket flower, tall garden phlox, rudbeckia, some salvias, and others. The best way to design your garden is to select plants that bloom at different times so you always have something in bloom.

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on June 30, 2006 06:48 AM
A perennial that last all summer right through to frost is of course a rose. I love the miniatures. But the aphids do like them so there is some spraying involved. I've found them to be pretty hardy outside though. I also love peonies but they have a very very short bloom time and they take forever to blossom the first time. I'm also hooked on the variegata weigelia. Hope I got the spelling right on that. I usually don't but I keep trying. Again they don't bloom for long but the foliage is pretty so it isn't so bad.

-
 -
by Maria K on June 30, 2006 12:15 PM
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I see several options that I can check out. Staggering the bloom times is what I need to work on.

Maria
Quote: "This time for sure"
-Bullwinkle J. Moose
by Triss on June 30, 2006 12:32 PM
Hi there Maria,

You have a great start in your garden and as you plant things and see when they bloom and what you like, you will have a garden with blooms one on top of another. We are all still learning and everyone here is helpful in that learning.

Some thoughts to get you through the rest of this year with color and abundance are snapgragons, marigolds, petunias, lobelias.

Come fall, you can add some more bulb plants to give yourself an early spring start. Daffodils are one of the first to pop up with their beautiful yellow blooms, also hyacinth, iris and other lillies will give you blooms until about this time of year next season. For later in the season gladiolas.

-
 -
We are all under the same stars... therefore we are never far apart.
by porter57 on June 30, 2006 02:18 PM
dont forget four o clocks
they will bloom till frost
but they are invasive and will take over if you let them.
for me i think id add some dafodills,tulips and hyacinths for early bloom. daffs and hyacinths being first followed by the tulips. then some irises to take care of mid spring.after that your lilies should come into thier own followed by gladiolas.beyond that the four o clocks will come into being. a couple nice dahlias wouls also take it into fall.maybe add a canna or two.
trouble is this will be some what maintenence intensive.
i think most all of it will be ok but the tulips will require replacing every couple years and im not sure of dahlias as far as overwintering(im gonna leave em in the ground this year to see what happens,last year i pulled em out and lost em in storage) they say you have to pull glad bulbs but most folks leave em in around here.
also i was hit by a critter (insect)called thrips here ,and they ran havoc with my glads.
abosolutetly tore em up .the blooms look like crap. i saw early signs but didnt get worried till i saw how bad the blooms were.
as much as i try to avoid chemicals,i should have sprayed ortho or sevin as soon as i saw what i didnt know was insect damage.
keep reading,there are many opnions and you can decide what is right for you!!
by RugbyHukr on June 30, 2006 02:39 PM
go for annuals to add color, most will bloom constantly ubtil winter.

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by dodge on July 02, 2006 09:22 AM
Maria

Cracker Jack marigolds do beautiful all summer. Annual ...they have yellow so pretty..

One of the nicest yellow bloomers.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by Jodi13 on July 03, 2006 01:49 AM
Hi Maria,
I lost my mom to cancer last February and also find it very comforting to plant flowers in my garden beds that she loved. If you are looking for longlasting yellow flowers I suggest Early Sunrise Coreopsis. Mine have beautiful yellow flowers all summer as long as I deadhead. Also, I've found that yellow daylillies Last all summer in zone 6 also. I agree with alankhart, if you do a little research on when certain perennials bloom you can plan to have a beautiful display of flowers all summer.
Keep your mom in your heart and she'll always be with you!
by Deborah L. on July 03, 2006 09:23 AM
Maria, how about a lovely yellow rose for your dear Mom? And for you.

-
 -
by jeffkris on July 11, 2006 10:27 AM
Maria,
I agree with all of the above.

A good hardy floribunda rose will reward you all season long and is a very good anchor to a flower garden. Bulbs are great because they are so bright and come in so many varieties. They start with snowdrops very early then continue with crocuses and on to tulips and daffodils. Each type of bulb has many varieties some of which are early and others late. Lilys are wonderful (both daylilies and bulb lilys) Dahlias probably have to be pulled in your area but it is easier than you might think. Annuals help fill in and give you great color all summer until you figure out what more long lasting plants you want to stick with.

Experiment. Try different things. Learn as you go.

Mostly have fun.
by MandyinNC on July 11, 2006 03:52 PM
I also love the Knockout Roses and they are very easy to take care of and will bloom for you all summer, also very easy to find!
by MarkInNC on July 12, 2006 12:01 AM
Yes,
I planted two knockout roses last year and they seem to really like where I put them out. They really do provide a lot of color. A smaller litte bush that I have enjoyed is a Mexican Sage. Colius do very well here also.

I forget the name of the yellow lillys that I planted but they seem to produce from late Spring through late Fall so you might consider differant types of bulbs.

I am still experimenting and optimising when I find something that seems to be "happy" in my yard. So far, I am at about half and half.

Mark
by MandyinNC on July 12, 2006 12:35 AM
Hi Mark, Do you keep a notebook of what does well and what does not? It seems like from year to year when I go to replant annuals I cannot remember which ones did really well and which did not.
by MarkInNC on July 12, 2006 05:55 AM
Mandy,

I throw the plastic flower/plant marker in an old 3x5 card box. I remove the marker if I decide that a particular plant does not like my yard.

I should keep a notebook as there are tricks that I discover and will forget from year to year. It would be smart to be proactive and not have to relearn, LOL.

You are inland as compared to me and have differant growing conditions. I wish I could trade some of my sand for some of your soil.

Mark

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: lilies dieing| Next thread: LILIUM TRUMPET. »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: